Pulling clutches

seeker1056

gear head
what is the most popular dual disc clutch for pulling.?

our truck never sees the street.

longest lived?
easiest pedal ?
ceramic, feramc, or sintered iron clutch discs?
three or four finger style pressure plate or diaphram?

thanks
Ken

If dual disc it will be a 4 finger lever pressure plate, I'm not sure on all companies but I've seen a couple using diaphragm plates for triple disc clutches.

If its going to be a PULLER ONLY you will want Sintered Iron for sure it will take the abuse better than 12 button disc's.

I personally ran a South Bend Dual Disc 3850 12 Ceramic button when I used to sled pull, I was all set to upgrade to the SI disc's and just decided to get out its turn into "who's pockets were deepest" in my area

Call Peter on monday and give him exact details on your truck and he won't sell you more clutch than you need! South Bend Clutch - Dodge clutch kits and Kevlar Pilot Brgs. Dnya Max Clutch Kits for high performance.

Talk to Chris at Kentucky Clutch. They make the same thing for alot less. Good service too.

Valair builds a nice clutch. I run a sintered iron triple with 4 finger 4k plate load. Works Awsome without issue

i have a haisley for sale dd iron disc just reset and recert from them pm me if interested

Like Got smoke said, definitely get sintered Iron discs. I've got a Southbend triple with sintered iron discs. I opted for a diaphragm plate though because my truck still sees street use. Southbend guaranteed it to 1300 HP. I've never used anything but Southbend but in my experience they are EXTREMELY durable.

Last edited:
Chris @ Ky Clutch Knows his stuff. Ran a True 4200lb plate load DD for almost 3 seasons (2 Hard ones, Slipped alot to get the 2wd to take off smooth) And never had any issue.

Lynn

I know of a SB 3850 in a friends puller thats going on 6 years of pulling. Guessing 100+ hooks, Last season after pulling the engine and looking at it we thought the clutch wouldnt last much longer but even with a bit more engine its holding up just fine.
I also DD a SB 3850 in my old 98 12v at 660hp and had no issues.

I know of a SB 3850 in a friends puller thats going on 6 years of pulling. Guessing 100+ hooks, Last season after pulling the engine and looking at it we thought the clutch wouldnt last much longer but even with a bit more engine its holding up just fine.
I also DD a SB 3850 in my old 98 12v at 660hp and had no issues.

Wow, cant believe his is doing so well. I got about 40 hooks out of my 3850, and 24-28 out of each of my 4200 with sintered iron discs. Im going with a weighted haisley this time after seeing Jeremy make 125+ hooks on his ODL truck with one.

Back