Pump gear puller

Looks pretty close to my snap on one. And yes, thread both bolts down till they are against the tool and the tool is flat on the pump shaft, then give one a half a turn. If it doesn't pop, give the other one half a turn. Should be more than popped by then. Its way more simple when you don't think about it and just do it. $.02 :lolly:

Looks pretty close to my snap on one. And yes, thread both bolts down till they are against the tool and the tool is flat on the pump shaft, then give one a half a turn. If it doesn't pop, give the other one half a turn. Should be more than popped by then. Its way more simple when you don't think about it and just do it. $.02 :lolly:

Ok, I was afraid it'd be too easy to turn them too uneven and jam the gear on the shaft or gouge the surface or something. I'm lucky like that.

That is essentially what I'm looking for, thanks, I've never used/seen one before.

And you can use the 10mm bolts from the timing cover can't you? I want to say thats what I've used in the past.

EDIT: how long is the main bolt on that one? does it clear the fan/shroud?

Last edited:
You could use those tools. I used a steering wheel puller a couple times but its a tight fit, i turn the bolts in to good and tight then tap the end of the tool with a hammer and usually they pop off easy that way, that tool seems like the best rout.

Why not just get a steering wheel puller? Can be had for like $10 or $15, may have to get bolts with the proper thread.

NAPA AUTO PARTS | PART DETAILS

I have one pretty much identical to that one, I think I paid $10 for it. I like that it has the cap for the end of the jack bolt, so it doesn't mar up the end of the pump shaft. Use the shorter intake horn bolts, and you're good to go. The jack bolt is into the fan, but with a swivel head ratchet, it works perfect.

I have one similar to the tork-tek one that came with my timing kit from Jesse at eatsoot. Works like a charm every time and getting the gear cocked by not have both bolts in exactly the same depth isn't an issue. The gear will pop before that happens.

That tork tek is exactly what comes in the snap on timing set. I've used mine a dozen times or more and have never had any issues with it Mike.

have a tork tek in my box works like a charm ive never had to use more than a 3/8s drive to break a gear loose with it.

i dont like the tork tek personally. mainly because you tighten it down on the p7100, an it smashes your gearcase cover where your oil fill tube screws on. works good on the vp and ve engines tho. i prefer a steering wheel puller.

Last edited:
My snap on has never smashes any covers that I remember. Wonder if the tork-tek is a little bigger.

Back