Question for camshaft genius

Tony R

New Build is For Sale.
I had a engine built a few years back for pulling and I did not recieve any specs on the camshaft. I would like to degree and measure all the specs on the camshaft while it is in the truck, could someone help me out with this. I seriously doubt if i called where the camshaft came from if they would even give me the specs on it. I know its bad practice but i would really like to know how to do this. Also another question about camshafts that i have is how does a person determine the depth of the flycut when building a engine? I have wondered about all this for a while and thought maybe you guys could help. The engine of course is a 12v. thanks for any and all help Tony

You can set up a dial indicator to get the lift easy enough. But you would need a degree wheel on the crank go really get a good duration reading

It’s not hard to do, you first need to set your degree wheel up and establish top dead center, and then find intake centerline. Then it is just a matter of reading the degree wheel. There is an enormous amount of information, which is more pertinent then just maximum lifts. Numbers of degrees between .050 lift is what many people advertize cams comparisons . The truth is there is so much more than just numbers at .050. Numbers at .0200 lobe lift are important to establish the amount of time that a cam is allowing the engine, to move air, in relation to the sweet spot of the port flow map.
A good example is my 174-intake lobe compared to others 181-intake lobe. I designed and modeled my 174-intake lobe to have short .050 numbers for maximum piston to valve clearance, but the numbers at .200 lobe lift are actually bigger than their .200 numbers. This allows the valve to be in that sweet spot, and have more area under the curve.
If you want , I’ll walk you thru the process of checking the numbers on the cam.

That would be great if you could walk me through it. I would really like to understand camshafts alittle more than i do now thanks Tony

Back