Question on what would be the best to run.

Drakaar

Hi All,

I would like to pick the brains of you Dmax owners out there.

I have a 2007 LBZ that I use as a daily driver for work, not much heavy towing except on weekends. It has 107,000 km on it and I have had it upgraded when it was new to an AFE stage 2 intake, MBRP stainless turbo back exhaust and I am running an Edge Evo.

I am considering changing out the edge as I hate the way it shifts under power. I run it on the extreme setting all the time except when towing as I found this is the best mileage setting. I also do not like all the smoke it produces under hard acceleration.

I was thinking about adding a PPE boost fooler to help with the EGT and smoke, or maybe changing the unit out for a PPE H+2, but I would like to get some opinions before I start making too many expensive decisions. The tranny is also stock for now.

Basically I am looking for fuel economy but I also like neck snapping power. Again, I do not want to make this truck undriveable as I use it every day for work, cruising down the highways as I am in sales.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance,
Jeff

Welcome to the forum Jeff.
What do you consider heavy towing ? The problem you'll run into is the edge is about the only one you can adjust on the fly. I'm a big fan of PPE for the power and economy but you'd have to plug in and download your tow tune every weekend. If that's not a problem for you for sure go with the PPE standard or hot, depending on how hot you want it. The E.T. version shifts best, but PPE does produce substancial smoke on anything above a 16o tune or so.
Don't waste your time on the boost controller IMO, the PPE tuner controls boost itself.
At least get a transgo jr. for the allison unless your wanting to build it. I't's very hard to make these trucks undriveable until you go changing turbos and more.

Hi All,

I would like to pick the brains of you Dmax owners out there.

I have a 2007 LBZ that I use as a daily driver for work, not much heavy towing except on weekends. It has 107,000 km on it and I have had it upgraded when it was new to an AFE stage 2 intake, MBRP stainless turbo back exhaust and I am running an Edge Evo.

I am considering changing out the edge as I hate the way it shifts under power. I run it on the extreme setting all the time except when towing as I found this is the best mileage setting. I also do not like all the smoke it produces under hard acceleration.

I was thinking about adding a PPE boost fooler to help with the EGT and smoke, or maybe changing the unit out for a PPE H+2, but I would like to get some opinions before I start making too many expensive decisions. The tranny is also stock for now.

Basically I am looking for fuel economy but I also like neck snapping power. Again, I do not want to make this truck undriveable as I use it every day for work, cruising down the highways as I am in sales.

Let me know what you think and thanks in advance,
Jeff

Have you considered EFI Live? I bought my truck with a "tow tune" loaded and it gets decent mileage ( 15 mixed, on 35" MT's, lifted ) and is a lot of fun to drive as well. Most vendors will set you up with a couple tunes that suit you and your truck when you buy.

Have you considered EFI Live? I bought my truck with a "tow tune" loaded and it gets decent mileage ( 15 mixed, on 35" MT's, lifted ) and is a lot of fun to drive as well. Most vendors will set you up with a couple tunes that suit you and your truck when you buy.

X2 I'd go with EFI live. They are about to release DSP2 and DSP5 tuning for the LBZ's so you could get a couple of trans safe tunes loaded into a 5 posistion switch and change tunes on the fly!

Back