questions

genie144

So I'm not new to diesels but bought my first dharma a few weeks back and have some questions. Truck is a 2002 3500 with an edge attitude on it. This will be my daily driver/work truck. I've got 2issues I need help with:

Smoke - truck idles and drives fine however it at times will spew white smoke. It will do it when warming up, at temperature, driving, and idling. It seems to start and stop randomly with a significant change in idle, egts, or engine noise. Any ideas?

Dead batteries - I'm assuming this one is a standard gm defect. The truck has a timer for after the key is removed from the ignition to run accessories. The truck has drained the batteries 2 times in as many weeks because the radio did not turn off. Is this a door sensor or fuse?

Window regulator died - Anyone have a good quick how to? I've got the parts on order and need to fix before it snows again.

Lastly - I have no maintenance records on the truck. Can anyone point me to the best place for maintenance parts? What is best cai, monitor, exhaust, etc for a gm?

Sam

Is there an actual GMC Diesel forum where I would be better off asking questions and receiving answers?

Sam

Somebody should chime in.. I know didly about your duramax pal, but the sensor for the door sounds about right. Your injectors could probably use a checking or possibly just need to change your fuel filter. Window regulators are probably the same as the gassers. Save some money and get a used from a salvage. Even Oriellys can get them.

Last edited:
Sounds like your injectors are junk, get your balance rates checked to see how bad. Get the batteries tested?

Radio stays on after door opens. Periodically. Batteries tested good.

Already have the regulator on order.

Can you elaborate on the potential injector issue? It runs great 95% of time. Randomly puts out a cap load of white smoke.

Thank you for the replies. I'm in the same boat - I know diddly about my Duramax. This is my first non powerstroke in 10+ years.

Sam

Its an LB7 engine Achilles Heal. The injectors like to go out. You need to take it to a dealer or EFI Live tuner and get the injector rates checked.

The door switch sounds like its sticking. PM smokinVE on here. He's a GM tech.

Ditto on above comments. I would also recommend joining duramaxforum.com and thedieselplace.com best sites for duramax help

Appreciate that. I'll look into duramaxforum. Not a big fan of dieselplace.

Sam

Even if the door switch is sticking, the radio should only stay on for 20 minutes or so. You might wan't to poke around in the dash and see if there was a previously installed remote car starter and bypass.

Ahh... I suppose I can update my thread... It is the ignition - the switch is bad and allows the key to pull out in the accessory position. I ordered an ignition switch and will be replacing it in the next few weeks.

Window motor has been replaced, door handle that broke in the -20 degree weather has been fixed, oil changed, and air filter.

Next on list is tranny (a little afraid to drain the oil for what I might find), passenger window motor/regulator, ignition switch, brakes front/rear, and then I can plan the injector replacement/upgrade. Wouldn't hurt to boost the power a bit...

Sam

Back