Rack Hanging, No Fuel??

12ValveDakota

Diesel Smoke
I have this dedicated pulling truck project in my shop that has been around for a while, just now getting the time to work on it again.

The engine is a 1995 manual trans 180 pump. I have installed a CDS 5GSK kit in it, and it is set up with no fuel plate and no AFC, rack plug, 5x16 injectors, 60 lb valve springs, HX55 and increased timing. No DVs yet.

Its been sitting about a year or so since it ran in the donor, and now that I have it running again in the puller, the rack is intermittenly hanging at no fuel. I couldnt get any fuel out of the delivery valves, finally realized it wasn't fueling, jiggled around on the rack through the plate hole and it released and bingo I got it bled and running.

Now it will just hang ever now and then, seems to do it if I pump the throttle hard with it running, or if I push the governor arm back all the way with my finger (piece that is supposed to contact the plate & afc) it will just hang. Work throttle and the rack don't move. I can see the rod from the gov trying to push it, but it won't move.

I thought at first is was sticking, maybe a barrel in a pump or something from sitting idle, but trying to force it forward dont help. What does work is to jiggle it around, and its like it is caught on something, it will release and is fine till it hangs up again.

Any ideas?? :confused:

Thanks

If the fuel shut off is in the stop position the rack will not travel, make sure the shut off lever/shaft is in the run position.

If the fuel shut off is in the stop position the rack will not travel, make sure the shut off lever/shaft is in the run position.

Fuel shutoff is in the run position. The pump don't have a solenoid on it, and I have just a cover where the fuel plate was, so the shutoff is easy to see.

Thanks

make sure the actual shaft is turning, there is a small key in there, mine had fallen out at one point but was still clamped with enough to turn. just one small thing to check

Had a pump that sat for a while, same thing. Rack would hang up. Found it before puttting it on the truck.

Don't run it. Take it to a good pump shop and have it cleaned, turned up and balanced ( you will be amazed at how much more you can get out of it).

Don't take chance on a plunger hanging up and sticking a rack at 4000 rpm.

If it does stick you won't shut it down unless you have an air or fuel shut off.

Next time you let a pump set you should exercise it monthly by holding up on fuel shut off and put a nut on the input shaft and turn it over with a socket/ratchet and work the throttle lever back and forth.

Just don't put a known hanging rack pump on the truck, good things are not destined to happen. $.02

I've heard this happening to p-pumps that have set up for a while. No oil running through it and the rack or a barrel will stick. Take it to a pump shop. I recommend seth at DPE.

I've heard this happening to p-pumps that have set up for a while. No oil running through it and the rack or a barrel will stick. Take it to a pump shop. I recommend seth at DPE.

I talked to Seth, he gave me some pointers on what to try to free up the barrels. If this doesn't correct it, I plan to send it to him to max/calibrate.

Thanks for the help.

Back