re powering a 97

blackcloudCTD95

Now keep in mind I have these parts advaliable at my disposal... In my shop...

My buddy has a 97 350. He wants to put a 01 sd turbo .... Intake plates... Orange cac tubes ... Intercooler ... Piping and the intake spider looking thing...

It can be done .. but I have 3 questions

1 - will the fuel pump in the valley clear the intake spider connecting to the orange tubes ?
2- are the exhaust manifolds the same? I know the y pipes as different .. and back flange
3 - how much will this help him as far as power ?

Btw he doesn't want to make a race truck he just wants more pep.. and its cheaper then buying the kit

The super duty turbo does not flow any more than a 94-97 turbo. Of he wants cooler air, put a super duty intercooler in it with an early 99 intake Y. a set of stage 1's from full force and a chip and he would have a nice tow rig.

99.5+ intake spider will not clear the OBS fuel bowl.
Intake plenums are also larger (3" vs 2") so you will need to swap to some SD plenums. Irate makes a nice billet kit, or you can go stock from a junkyard.
Passenger side exhaust manifold is the same, however the SD drivers side manifold is about 1" longer at the coupling between the manifold and up-pipe.
Like said previously, stock for stock the SD turbo isn't going to get you anywhere. Swapping to a SD setup does give you additional aftermarket options however.

Back