Re-sealed power steering now no brakes!

9 LIVES

Demolition Expert
Last-night I re-sealed my power steering pump & vacuum pump. All went well with that, but when I went to back the truck out of the shop it had a solid brake pedal.

I am assuming I have a vacuum leak somewhere....the truck is a 94 3500 I am sure it's time for new vacuum lines. Questions, I have no found a "set" or kit of lines from auto parts stores. Is this something I need to build myself? The line that went into the vacuum pump was kinda swollen at the pump so I cut that bad part off. Is there a way to locate a leak?

truck is a 94 3500

Easiest way to locate the leak is a smoke machine, but availability could be an issue there. You might be able to improvise something.

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

You could cap off segments of it and pressurize those a little to see where air is coming out.
Got a vaccum gauge you can tee in there to see what you get from the pump?
seems like these usually these leak around the 4wd actuator and the lines up near the transfer case.

This being a 2X4 transfer case not an issue. I bought some black rubber hose, hopefully making my own new lines won't be an issue and hopefully stops the issue. Just honestly surprised me as the brakes were fine before I took the power steering pump off and now they are an issue. I must have put a small crack in a hose while moving them out of the way to get the pump off. Visually I couldn't see any cracks though

Put a new brake booster on....I think that fixed it. I have only driven around the shop but it feels better already. Naturally the brake pedal sensor needed to be adjusted quite a bit, the brake lights stayed on.

I had a brake booster fail like that once. Might have wanted to do a hydroboost swap while you were in there!

Back