rear suspension

mopo824

Home Grown Show
So as my build progresses i have started looking into setting up the rear suspension in my truck. it is a 95 scsb 12v that i am looking to get into the 900-1000 hp range. at the moment i have the rear sitting about 1.5-2" lower than factory. I will be removing this and going with another setup to get me around 4" lower in the rear total. would it be to my advantage to remove some leafs and add dual adjustable coilovers like qa1, afco, etc? our would i be better off removing the leafs period and going with the coilovers? truck is being setup to be a fun street truck when i want to use it as such which wont be often with the occasional track time when work permits. i want what will benefit me the best in doing so. any help/tips are appreciated

Why would you use leaves and coilovers? What are you going to use to control axle wrap?

If you're planning on putting that much power to the ground link it with coilovers or pull leaves and run traction bars.

to control the axle wrap i do have a set of traction bars already on the truck that go from the axle to the frame. i have them setup on the axle to where i can change the angle to 3 different positions to closer match the pinion.

for the leafs i was only guessing that i would remove a certain amount and run coilovers. say like if i removed all but 2 leafs wouldnt the coils then benefit me? or remove the whole thing and run coils.

i know nothing about setting a suspension up if you cant already tell lol.

I run just the 2 top leafs on my 2000. It rides a ton better and seemed to help at the track. Just make sure you always have some type of bar on it to help with axle wrap like you currently have. I am tossing around the idea of changing my bar setup but will always have something on mine.

I run just the 2 top leafs on my 2000. It rides a ton better and seemed to help at the track. Just make sure you always have some type of bar on it to help with axle wrap like you currently have. I am tossing around the idea of changing my bar setup but will always have something on mine.

see i planned on doing the same thing eventually unless i went to a complete removal of the leafs or a flip kit. i figured with only 2 leafs it would help then add a good coil system it would benefit but i dont know enough hence why i ask.

if i did the coil overs i would cut out the spare tire section and run a piece of pipe between the frames for stability. plan on doing this anyways. i would make a set of brackets to connect near the pumpkin/center as possible on the dana 70. from there i would connect the coils to the pipe. it would depend on what setup i went with on how they would connect but yall get the general idea. the guy doing my cage has done a ton of them and may just see what he thinks. might even have him set it up while the truck is already there for the 8 point.

My advice is have him build your suspension if he's done this before as you said you don't have any experience building suspensions. Using coilovers and leaves together doesn't make any sense and running coilovers without a properly setup linked suspension is a complete waste of time, money, and materials. There's a lot to know about suspensions before you even begin to research options to build one yourself.

Also, you use tube for structural things, not pipe. Pipe is more brittle and inconsistent.

Just run the shocks without the coils, as said before the coilovers will end up hurting you more than helping, even with the lightest springs available. All you want/need is a single or double adjustable QA1 or Strange set of shocks.

As far as the leafs, take all but 2 out and get a set of 2" drop shackles and you'll be right where you wanna be.

Your other option is to do as other suggested and just let your chassis guy set it up for you. The only thing to remember there is make sure to run the leafs or you won't be legal to compete in anything except for pro-street if you go 4-link or ladder bar.

I have a set of shackles I'm not going to be running that I'd sell you if you want them. I've also got a full set of gutted leafs also if you'd just want to swap the whole pack out since I won't be needing them.

well i will probably let him do it. if i knew how i wouldnt be asking. im just looking to learn and retain information thats all. i need to see what he suggests and go from there.

adam i already have a 2" lowering kit on it at the time with full leaf. i have a 4" hanger kit that should be at the house as well. i was going to try and play with the 4" setup to see how it went. if you already have a gutted set that is down i would take them if they are down to the 2 leafs like suggested. that way i could try them out before i actually get into the 4".

I dont want to run pro street at all since i dont have the bank or the time. if anything just the ss class and from there i may even slow it down just depends. more or less it will be for the friday nights at the local tracks and occasional street fun.

If you were set up for dual coils on those shocks, you could easily attain an appropriate spring rate to compliment a two leaf "stock" suspension.

I used airbags instead of coils. Without an easily adjustable suspension, I would not be able to get my truck on my trailer.

I dont know how much lower than stock it is, but the rear is has two leafs and a short section of the overload retained. I cut one coil off the front springs then ground them almost flat.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0
Back