removing my engine

firemn260

I have symptoms of head gasket failure. Soot in the overflow, a lot of pressure in the coolant system and the heater core sounds like there is a waterfall in it.
It worries me because the head is studded so I'm thinking worse case is a cracked or warped head.
So I decided I want to pull the motor. I also want to fix some other leaked with all new gaskets including the rear main seal and oil pan seal. I'm figuring it will be easier to do all this work withe the motor on the stand.
I have everything to yank the motor but I was just wondering If there are any tips or tricks in getting that heavy beast out and then back in?. Thanks

I meant from the front of the truck. Rad, i/c, rad support, bumper, etc. After that, it just slides up and out.

Undo the front bolts on the cab and core support to the frame, and loosen the rear cab bolts and lift the cab up a bit. You can pull the engine out without having to remove the valve cover or oil pan.

Got the motor out. Having a lift really helps. Unbolted the front four cab bolts and had plenty of clearance to get it out. Now the real fun begins. Tearing into the motor. Thanks again for the tips.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-01-18-38-16.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-01-18-38-16.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2015-03-01-18-38-01.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-03-01-18-38-01.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
Just did mine last weekend and in about 5 hours we had it out and on a stand.. first time pulling a cummins engine for myself, many gas jobs tho.. 5 hours with beer

I did not think about unbolted the cab mounts... I pulled the oil pan and pickup tube with the engine hanging on the lift after trying every angle I could think of. Now project has gotten a little out of hand and the frame is stripped bare... The engine is definitely going back in before the cab goes back on.

I did not think about unbolted the cab mounts... I pulled the oil pan and pickup tube with the engine hanging on the lift after trying every angle I could think of. Now project has gotten a little out of hand and the frame is stripped bare... The engine is definitely going back in before the cab goes back on.

unbolting the cab mounts made it alot easier as Tate sudjested to me when I started this thread. . I loosened the front two and unbolted the two at the rear of the cab. I used the truck lift to tip the cab foward enough so the engine could clear the fire wall and have enough room to go up and over the crossmember. Didn't have to remove a single thing from the engine to get it out.

I'm sure you could used Jacks to tilt the cab also if you don't have access to a lift.

Another thing I found that made things easier is I unbolted the trans ( mine is a nv4500) from its cross member and used a trans jack to tilt it up a bit. This seemed to help the motor separate a little easier. I just used a heavy duty Ratchet strap to hold it in place for now untill the engine is ready to go back in.

some really helpful and knowledgeable people on here who have helped me with all my dumb questions. It's much appreciated and I can only hope to pass on anything I pick up along the way.

Back