Reseal vs replace steering box

Gorms

So the steering in my 07 Mega is basically perfect, has been for the past 80k for me. Except the steering box leaks, I haven't cleaned it to see exactly where it is coming from, maybe the top cover. Is there anything special needed to reseal the box? I would hate to give it in as a core if it works good. Plus I'm cheap.

I’d imagine it’s like any other gear box. Sector shaft seal would be straight forward. I’ve had two leak from sector shaft.

How many miles are on the box?

Sector shaft seal is pretty straight forward and it's been where all my leaks came from but I wouldn't rule out the lines etc. You can get the seal kit for like 6 or 7 bucks off Rock auto just did the one on my wrangler last week.

Truck has about 250k on it, I've had it since 160k. All I've done to the front end is ball joints. I'll clean it up to see where it's coming from.

Been my experience that usually once the seal is replaced, it eventually leaks again, because usually there's play in the lower shaft.

Mark.

Been my experience that usually once the seal is replaced, it eventually leaks again, because usually there's play in the lower shaft.

Mark.

Play in the sector shaft can be tightened up with the top hat adjustment.

Play in the sector shaft can be tightened up with the top hat adjustment.

Also been my experience that playing with that adjustment can result in the box having hard spots in it, from wear.

Mark.

Back