Review (Mishimoto Radiator)

Runninlean

Say When racing
Haven't seen one anywhere on the Cummins 03 to 10 Mishimoto radiators.

Thanks to Calvin's and Hooker for the great sales service.

Installed this on my 04.5 that had started leaking at the seam. Mind you I am being ultra critical of some things just for the purpose of the review.

12039705_10207944577082752_7663063076766398594_n.jpg

First Glance: Well packaged box with lots of added packing material to keep things in place, however believe they can improve on it (will touch on this later). Once out of the box you get that warm fuzzy feeling of hey shiny! Once I removed the plastic sealed plastic from it a bit of disappointment set in. While shinny for the most part it had many blemishes and scuff spots. This was not enough for me to get worked up about but somewhat disappointing for a $830 dollar retail piece. I mean if its polished them be polished if raw then so be it don't half ass it. I was also less than impressed with some of the welds cosmetically however seems to be structurally sound.

12039564_10207944779207805_367649817623610262_n.jpg

I will continue updating this when I have a bit more time.

I just went with another stocker, but this was very on the fence. I hope you update this. Seems like they do 9/10 for quality, and 10/10 for customer service/warranty. Just out of the reviews I've read.

That is a heft price tag for a radiator though.

Good look, I'll just keep paying 20 bucks to get my patched lol. Sure does look pretty though.

No way to justify 900 for a radiator! I can have a local shop fab one up for waaaaay less and have lifetime warranty!

So rereading my first post let me apologize for doing it at such a late hour and with little sleep. Let's hope I improve from here on out.

12038331_10207944779247806_9091219555367439374_n.jpg

First Glance: (Continued) I quickly noticed that the fill neck hose barb fitting was much longer than the factory unit allowing you enough length to install a hose clamp. This is a good thing because if just sticking to a factory replacement it is much smaller in diameter and the ID. is even smaller. Cutting off an inch of the factory over flow hose only allowed the hose to be snug if you slide it over the nut of the barb. You will need to put a clamp on it. The cap and fill neck are significantly smaller as well.

The Cap is rated at 19 psi vs the 15 psi factory unit (It was s good to 19 psi as I tested it).

12039323_10207944780047826_5857296438735974099_n.jpg

The Core I noticed does look like it would have better air flow. That being said it is smaller than the OEM unit. OEM core is 1 3/4" thick, the Mishimoto core is only 1 3/8". The OEM core is also taller, spanning from the bottom of the tanks fully to the top of the tanks. The Mishimoto is about 3/4" from the top of the tanks.(Note- I am running a Flex-a-lite fan setup vs the factory fan and shroud.) My Flex-a-lite shroud extends above the core about 3/8". I would assume the same would be true for the factory shroud.

The bungs for the shroud, Trans cooler and Power steering cooler were solid and fit well. The lower clips for the cooler and shroud however are basically just a 1/8" piece of flat stock welded and bent over. I did have to tap the driver side clip down with a hammer to get the bolt to line up. These clips bend easily! I'm not sure the shroud clips would be a problem if using the factory shroud. I will be watching them with the heavier flex-a-lite setup. I might have to drill a hole in each and run a screw through it. Same for the cooler clips but not as worried about them bending out.

Installation: The installation and fit was almost completely in line with a factory replacement unit except for the few small details previously listed and the bushing slots for the mounting bolts. Both were bent inward slightly. I believe this is was from shipping and where they could look at improving the packing. That being said it was very easy to bend them out to slide the rubber bushings in.

12049250_10207944779927823_6426345540996527542_n.jpg

One last notable item was the factory unit has the trans cooler line hold downs. Obviously the Mishimoto does not. Mine are cut at the cooler with compression to AN adapters to fit my AN trans cooler lines. I do not think it would be an issue for a factory install but worth double checking the clearance so as not to have the tube rubbing the stanchion from bumps and vibration.

12002753_10207944778047776_7176657607004816224_n.jpg

Overall summary
Finish 7
Fit 9
Performance TBD (Not sure if the slightly smaller core will have any affect)

I like the unit overall so far I am a bit disappointed in the finish category considering the price and marketing it as a polished piece.

Good look, I'll just keep paying 20 bucks to get my patched lol. Sure does look pretty though.

Well this one had over 350k on it and is on my Race/Street toy. I do not trust the crap brand units at the parts houses and the Mopar unit was 550.

No way to justify 900 for a radiator! I can have a local shop fab one up for waaaaay less and have lifetime warranty!

If that's the case then rock on. However for clarification purposes. They list for $830. I did not say I paid that. The Mishimoto has a life time warranty. Hopefully you do not run yourself over with the truck in the process of installing it..

HAHAHAHA I'll be alright it's on the top side! Besides the wife checks for wheel chocks now!

I've a cheapo radiator that has a smaller core in my 03, haven't noticed anything different.

for the price, however, I would want a thicker core.

Back