Rockwell carrier ratio split?

Sarafin

Have asked around to a few places and and some have said yes, other have said no. Is there a carrier split for the r&p in say a 20-145 or a SQHD. 3.90 rear ends are extremely common, I am curious if a higher ratio (4.88 5.13 or 6.80) would fit in or is it similar to a Dana where there is a ratio break.
Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Yes, i believe 4.10 and down, 4.30 and up. All i know is there are two different carriers and when you make your own spool using dimensions off the wrong carrier, you get really mad and have to make an elaborate stepped spacer to make it work.:doh:

This was for a 20-145 by the way

SQ is split at 4.63 and down, 4.88 and up.
Someone said 3 splits for 20-145, don't know that to be the case.

Yes, i believe 4.10 and down, 4.30 and up. All i know is there are two different carriers and when you make your own spool using dimensions off the wrong carrier, you get really mad and have to make an elaborate stepped spacer to make it work.:doh:

This was for a 20-145 by the way
Care to elaborate on the spacer? I haven't come across that in my searches

Let me ask for clarification since a bunch of people call the dropout the carrier. Is there a difference in a dropout that came with say a 3.30 gear verses a dropout that came with a 5.29, other than the gears (obviously) and the actual carrier that the ring gear bolts to?

Ring gear carrier only, offsets the ring gear slightly.
Dropout is the same.
You can email SCS on what ratio breaks are on 20-145

From what I was just told over the weekend, the split was in the high 3s...I can't remember exactly but I think 3.90. All of the ones I've done lately I haven't had a problem putting 4.88s or numerically higher in

From what I was just told over the weekend, the split was in the high 3s...I can't remember exactly but I think 3.90. All of the ones I've done lately I haven't had a problem putting 4.88s or numerically higher in
Do you think they were 3.90s that you're putting those 4.88 rings into?

From reading Rockwell parts manual the split appears to be at 4.11. 4.30 and up useing a different carrier.

Care to elaborate on the spacer? I haven't come across that in my searches

Since i made the spool with the wrong offset, i had to make a spacer to move the ring gear over .475". the problem was the locating shoulder for the ring gear is only .562" deep it did leave much to locate the gear. So i turned a stepped spacer, shrinked it on and transfer my holes. Had to run longer bolts also. Total pain in the azz and the last time i dont do the research myself. But in the end i only have $700 in it for material and my time after work building it.

Last edited:
The split in a 20-145 is 4.10 and down. Bought a scs spool and tried to use it with a 4.10 gear and was a no go lol. Live and learn

Back