Rockwell h170 fine spline

nick2001

I finally started tearing down my h170. I pulled the axles out and got excited to see fine splines. But after looking around all I can find for spools are 16 spline stuff or aftermarket 47 spline. I think I counted 34 splines on the axles I pulled out. I had planned to shorten up this axle, but I dont want to pay for custom axles and have my welded carrier give out. Anyone have any info on the h170 or parts for it.

It has been awhile since I looked at my 172 shafts. Can you have them cut and resplined?

If you are going to narrow it, I'd just go with a spool and aftermarket axles and see how long the ring and pinion holds out.

The axles are 1.760 dia. the length of the shaft. But the spline is stepped out. the od of the splines are 1.840 dia. After seeing that, Im thinking I may try to leave the axle stock width and offset the rims as far in as I can. I havent found a single spool for 34 spline. There is a Detroit locker out there, but I already have a locker and a welder if you get my drift. However I am still wondering if a 34 spline will hold.

Im also wondering about getting rid of the drums. The Plan is to waterjet the drum off the hub assembely. Or make/buy some aluminum hubs.

The axles are 1.760 dia. the length of the shaft. But the spline is stepped out. the od of the splines are 1.840 dia. After seeing that, Im thinking I may try to leave the axle stock width and offset the rims as far in as I can. I havent found a single spool for 34 spline. There is a Detroit locker out there, but I already have a locker and a welder if you get my drift. However I am still wondering if a 34 spline will hold.

Im also wondering about getting rid of the drums. The Plan is to waterjet the drum off the hub assembely. Or make/buy some aluminum hubs.

The aftermarket spools are 32-spline, but they are 2 1/16" diameter shafts. I would think the stock shafts would last for awhile, but I have no experience to back that up. You might try asking DISTURBED...he has a 172, but I'm not sure if it has stock axles in it.

Are they 6 lug hubs? I'm fairly certain the drums I have were separated from the hubs by driving the wheel studs out. Aluminum hubs are around $500 each.

Yep 6 lugs. I know the stud goes in to the drum, Ill have to take a look if they separate there. That would help. I think Im just going to weld it up and remove the rivets on the ring gear and replace them with bolts.

you should be able to get custom axles made to the proper shortened length and splined the way you want them for a pretty decent price! Look around and you will be amazed at what you find!!! Call that place that you mentioned with the 47spline ;););)

Good luck...Ryan

The aftermarket spools are 32-spline, but they are 2 1/16" diameter shafts. I would think the stock shafts would last for awhile, but I have no experience to back that up. You might try asking DISTURBED...he has a 172, but I'm not sure if it has stock axles in it.

Are they 6 lug hubs? I'm fairly certain the drums I have were separated from the hubs by driving the wheel studs out. Aluminum hubs are around $500 each.

My 172 has stock axles in it they are over 2" thick. I will measure them and count the splines because I have forgot what the are. I want to say they are either 32 or 40 spline axles but I can't remember off the top of my head. When I did mine I took the carrier apart and set it on its end and stacked the spiders in it just like they would be if the carrier was bolted together. I tacked all the gears together that I could get to. Then flipped everything up side down and tacked the rest of the gears together. Then proceed to make an ball out of all the spider gears. If mine breaks its taking everything with it. I had to do just a little grinding to get it to fit back in to the carrier but it wasn't much(all welding was done out of the carrier except the tacks). As for the hubs the drums come off and the studs stay in the hubs just like a newer semi drum IIRC. Its been 4 years since I first tore the 172 apart but wasn't till last year it got finished and welded under the truck. The air brakes unbolt and fall off with out any problems other then every thing F'in heavy

Jeremy, is your 172 narrowed at all? Just wondering how you got the tires under the truck as far as you did without narrowing the axle. Thanks

No its not narrowed at all. The wheels are isuzu box truck 6" wide wheels I do have some 10" blank rims at the shop now that I will be making a set of wider wheels for the back with off sets to hopefully keep them tucked in as far as they are now

The axles are exactly 2" thick and are 39 spline. From the flat part of the flange that mates to the hub the axle shafts are 39". The flange is 6" across. Hub to hub it is 68" and is 200 pounds heavier then a 106.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info disturbed. I think I have what I need for the most part. What did you do about the ring gear rivets? Grade 8 bolts?

Also do you know of anyone that can make me a 17 inch dually 8 wide with a 6 lug rockwell pattern? I plan on making an adapter and running a hummer rim on the outside.

Back