rower et's

Not sure if you can do it all with tuning, but tuning might help.

Guess the best trick for a turbo diesel with a stick would be a shot of nitrous on the line to get the boost up quick. Dunno.

I'd really like to play with a big charger stick truck and see if we can boost by just pushing down the pedal with clutch in.

So it is possible to build boost with high RPM and no load on the motor? I've honestly have never tried thats why I'm asking. Thanks Tim
On edit: If i understand you right do you mean you slip your clutch on your vette for about 30' down the track?

Last edited:
If you can figure out how to work it on a goat I have a test bed for ya' Pat LOL

My first time to race the goat netted a high 17 sec pass, keep in mind this was with a mild launch in 2wd, second gear and I had NEVER made a pass in ANYTHING. Soon as I have a second ride (just in case) I wanna try to cut at least 5 seconds off that time.

trunyon said:
So it is possible to build boost with high RPM and no load on the motor? I've honestly have never tried thats why I'm asking. Thanks Tim
On edit: If i understand you right do you mean you slip your clutch on your vette for about 30' down the track?

I'm not absolutely sure, but I will do some tests this weekend. Unlike a gasser, we have full air going into the motor since we have no throttle. That's a big advantage. If we retard the timing enough, we might be able to spray enough fuel in to light the charger without a load.

Yes, you must keep the RPM in the powerband which means riding the clutch on launch. After that, you "over-rev" the engine before shifting to stay in the powerband if necessary. You only slip the clutch on launch.

I heel toe the brake and throttle. In 4WD I creep forward into the first stage beam. Then I start heel toe in third gear. Bring the RPMs up to around 3500. Then I start to let out the clutch pedal real easy until it starts to creep forward. Carefully light the second stage light. Now the fun begins. Hold the brakes as hard as you can while keeping the RPMs above 3000. All the while you are slipping the clutch to keep boost above 20 psi. When the last yellow light lights slid your right foot off the brake and completely on the throotle. Yee Ha!:st: I still slip the clutch a little after launch to keep from bogging the engine. I do my 3 to 4 for shift at around 3800rpm and the rest at 4000. I only make three shifts total. I do shft with the clutch.

When done right the truck WILL spin all four tires. My truck usually slids to right about four feet as it starts going forward!

Setup.
I lower my T bars completely. Run 45 psi all tires. Clamp rear springs. I use a 2" ratchet strap hooked on one end to my B/W , run the strap under the axle, and hook the other end to the receiver hitch frame. Tighten down strap with the ratchet. Aired my air bags up to 60 psi. You want the rearend to sit about stock height. This is down to keep the rear end from squating badly upon launch which lifts the front end. Lifting the front is just wasting energy and putting your CVs at real evil angles.

A boosted launch while it sounds harsh and it is is still far better than just reving and droping the clutch because boosting removes all the slack from the drive line.

Yes this sounds difficult but anyone can just mass the throttle when the light goes green and hold it to the floor for 1320ft.:hehe:

Pat
If you want to know how a big charger works on a ZF truck make me a deal I can not pass up on a GT4202R!:rockwoot: Will see how it works out!:st:

If you would'nt mind posting what you come up with this weekend that would be cool. I'd be interested in how you do. I'll mess with mine alittle this weekend as well. Thanks Pat

Johnboy what clutch disc are you runnin? Thats kinda how I do it as well but i haven't tried launching in 3rd yet and I didn't try bumping the light thats a pretty cool way of doing it though I'll have to practice alot before I try on the track though sounds like you might be more cordinated than me LOL. I usually hurry and stage while the other guy does his burn out and when he starts to stage I rev and start to slip the clutch but I like your way of bumping the light better that way I'm not caught off guard. :thankyou2: for the tips... later Tim

So far my best is the time in my signature. I'm hoping to get back to the track soon to try to knock it down more. The video on DPM's site is my truck at Rockingham last year. As mentioned, traction is a an issue (for me at least)

Back