Runaway has me stumped

4WheelinFreak

Metal Butcher
So I bought this motor from my buddy who pulled it from a running 89 truck. Motor sat for a year all sealed up and after I get it in my truck and all hooked up it fires and takes off at a dead runaway. Is there something stuck in the pump or possibly a couple stuck injectors. Only other thing I noticed is the main throttle lever on the pump wont actually go all the way back on its own, Is there an internal spring thats supposed to put opposing pressure on the governor spring?

Yes spring on theshaft and a return spring from the fulcrum to the front cover. Did you guys Jack the "fuel" screw all the way in? The non ic pumps are more prone to the runaway issue than the others.

Someone had messed with it, but it ran fine with whatever they did a year ago, I even backed it out a half turn at a time till the motor wouldnt even start and it would still do it every time I started it. There is a spring from the fulcrum to the front cover that holds it back and the stock 386 spring inside that connects it to the arm with the "top hat". But what im asking is is there supposed to be a spring holding the inside arm with the top hat back.

Back