Running the truck without MAF

Alliance1289

What are you guys doing with the MAF sensor for big twin setups? Can the truck be set up to run without it? If so, what solutions have been implemented to make the truck run without it?

The truck is an 04 5.9 CR with a pretty healthy set of twins on it, and we are trying to figure out an intake setup off the primary. It seems to me that I have (or at least I thought I have) seen competition caliber truck run without them.

Any insite to this would be much appreciated.

-Eric

Mine is just zip tied up, haven't had any problems. I'll eventually put it back in the intake just need to make a base for it to go in.

Aren't the IAT and MAF sensor part of the same piece in Dodges? Pardon my ignorance... I'm a duramax guy and am still learning on Dodge stuff.

if you're talking about the sensor that goes in the intake pipe you have to at least have it plugged in to make it happy. if not it will try and go by itself.

It needs to be plugged in but not neccessarily in the pipe. Just has to be in the harness to keep the computer happy.

Yep, you can even alter the temp to fool the computer into more fuel to if you like.

Last edited:
Yeah, IAT would be the right name for it :lolly: I knew what you was talkin' about. The 6.7's run ruff without it but the 5.9's are fine.

Just stick it in the rubber grommet where the stock air box snapped into. On batt tray.

Cummins doesn't use a mass air flow sensor.
IAT and MAP, they do.

Back