RWHP Thoughts - '07 5.9 Cummins

IOWA

Never enough.
Motor is getting EFI Live tuning shortly by E.D. You think I can hit 650rwhp?

'07 Cummins 5.9
- 6Spd with Southbend Dual Disk 3600
- 5" Turbo Back Exhaust
- AFE Cold Air intake
- DDP 90hp Injectors
- Arson III kit
- II Super PhatShaft 64 (Wastegated at 39psi until I head stud)
- Airdog II 165

Thanks!:Cheer:
IMG_0225_zps6caf4eb8.jpg

IMG_0295_zpsd5a32ac8.jpg

Last edited:
It's your truck so do what you want, don't let my opinion persuade you....

I don't think you'll see 650HP with that turbo wastegated to 39 psi.

Also, why limit boost? Cylinder pressure is what's going to blow out the gasket, not boost. If you crank up the timing to big horsepower, you're going to create enough cylinder pressure to blow it out anyway. Might as well wait till the head is fastened down before you spend $$$ tuning it halfway at 39 psi.

I saw 45-50psi with my stock head bolts on my 07 5.9 with a 66. no lifted head.

I agree that limiting it to 39 psi isn't going to reach your goal and may not be much fun to drive.

You will probably be short of 650 but that's an awesome looking truck.

First thing I thought as well, no way are you gonna see 650 wastegated at 39psi. And the arson 3 may or may not be enough to get you there. I'm on stock headbolts and I've seen 55 psi.

It's your truck so do what you want, don't let my opinion persuade you....

I don't think you'll see 650HP with that turbo wastegated to 39 psi.

Also, why limit boost? Cylinder pressure is what's going to blow out the gasket, not boost. If you crank up the timing to big horsepower, you're going to create enough cylinder pressure to blow it out anyway. Might as well wait till the head is fastened down before you spend $$$ tuning it halfway at 39 psi.

Thanks for the reply! That's what I was afraid of.... Currently I'm not limiting fuel and seeing higher than normal EGT's which I think would be worse than higher boost levels. Also I went with this turbo to help keep Drive Pressure's down which is a big cause to blown HG's as well. I think I'll turn up the boost to 47-50psi.

I saw 45-50psi with my stock head bolts on my 07 5.9 with a 66. no lifted head.

I agree that limiting it to 39 psi isn't going to reach your goal and may not be much fun to drive.
I think I'm going to shoot for that range too. Right now it's not cleaning the smoke up very well. It's a SMOKEY truck :(

You will probably be short of 650 but that's an awesome looking truck.
Thanks!!! Working on getting Mag-Hytec covers and painting the rear bumper too!

First thing I thought as well, no way are you gonna see 650 wastegated at 39psi. And the arson 3 may or may not be enough to get you there. I'm on stock headbolts and I've seen 55 psi.

I have a RP guage coming with the new Edge Insight I plan to run. That should provide plenty of data for what I'm doing with the truck. (Only really need RP, Boost, and EGT)

Also I went with this turbo to help keep Drive Pressure's down which is a big cause to blown HG's as well.

Drive has no effect on head gaskets... Cylinder pressure (timing) is the killer.

As said before, I would increase the boost into the 50# area and let er eat. If your rail can keep up to demand and you have a good tuner I cant see 650 being an issue. Get er done.

Last edited:
Drive has no effect on head gaskets... Cylinder pressure (timing) is the killer.

As said before, I would increase the boost into the 50# area and let er eat. If your rail can keep up to demand and you have a good tuner I cant see 650 being an issue. Get er done.

Umm I'm sorry but I have to say this. Drive pressure DOES play a role in blowing hg's. Yes timing does as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but high drive pressure is a result of high cylinder pressure, is it not?

Last edited:
^not necessarily. Slap a turbo with a tight exhaust a/r on and measure DP, then swap the housing for a loose a/r and measure DP. Cylinder pressure stayed the same but DP went down after installing the loose housing. Everything adds to the death of a headgasket, but cylinder pressure rises dramatically when messing with timing compared to boost and DP.

Think of it like this, cylinder pressure is measured in thousands of psi, drive pressure is measured on a build like this less than 100 ish, which do you think will have more impact on head gasket life? DP has such a small piece of the puzzle I would not worry about it on a non competition truck for head gasket purposes.

^not necessarily. Slap a turbo with a tight exhaust a/r on and measure DP, then swap the housing for a loose a/r and measure DP. Cylinder pressure stayed the same but DP went down after installing the loose housing. Everything adds to the death of a headgasket, but cylinder pressure rises dramatically when messing with timing compared to boost and DP.

Got it. Thanks sir! Never claimed to be a turbo guru. Haha I just thought that drive pressure played a bigger role in head gasket failures.

Think of it like this, cylinder pressure is measured in thousands of psi, drive pressure is measured on a build like this less than 100 ish, which do you think will have more impact on head gasket life? DP has such a small piece of the puzzle I would not worry about it on a non competition truck for head gasket purposes.

Understood. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Agreed! Thanks for the lesson! I'm learning too!!! Wastegate is being up around 48-50 psi. Head studs coming in the spring!

your not dealing with a 12 valve here its a cr put the air to it, theyll take 55 psi daily on stock bolts for a long time.

I just pulled the Crappy Edge off the truck, and new gauges are arriving Monday!! Then I can try and get my waste-gate set at 50psi. And let it EAT!!!! Truck is going to ED in a week for EFI Live!

Back