S300 Replacement for HE351?

kawgomoo

I was looking at building a set of towing twins. he351 over ht3b. In the hunt for turbos it seems i could run an S475 opposed to the ht3b for similar or even less money, while making similar or a little better power.

Seeing the favorable price on s300 box chargers. Is there one i could select that would be similar or equivalent to the he351? I wouldnt mind going to external gates, just more worried about the spool characteristics.

I want to be able to tow, get out the hole quickly, and have a relatively sane/controllable amount of smoke.

Power goal is honest to mid 600's

My pump is headed to Farrell, and TRE has my trans right now.

The price people want for used Holsets out here is ridiculous! My mind is spinning with all the choices!

I have the hx35, could use that for my top turbo, but it could use a rebuild and agin the price of those box chargers is so favorable.

If i use a 300 over 475. What would be the 300 to use? Or should i just stick wi the the hx35, rebuild it and choose a different bottom?

I run a 63/71 over 475 on my halfton. Absolutely is a blast to drive and spool is awsome.

Man, people hate turbo sizing questions don't they?

Is yours a 63/71/14? Hows does that compare to the 363 they have listed at Compressor: 63 mm inducer / 88mm exducer, with Extended Tip Technology.
Turbine: 76.1 mm inducer / 68 mm exducer..88 undivided or .91 divided housing.

If you want fast response and cool egts like an HE351, I'd opt for a 62/65/12. Something with a 71mm turbine in a .80 AR housing (aka 14) is going to spool much slower. I ran a 64/71/14 on my 12 valve in Phoenix. It was ok in the winter but in the summer with the high intake temps and AC on, it was a pain to spool in traffic.

A box charger is not going to spool as fast as you'd like, the housings are too big. 62/65/12 is about $1250, HE351 is around $400.

Thanks Straight 6. I am out here in phoenix too, but i am not from here, a transplant. Back home i could find deals on parts, people to talk to and bump heads with.

when people say 62/65/12 is this the trim of the turbo, or the actual minor size of the wheels themselves?

I figure for twins i can always start off with the hx35 on top, and change things around as need be. The welding/fabrication aspect of it is easy for me, but figuring out which parts to use is baffling.

Im a welder/fab guy at a sand car shop out here.

I just confused myself. I am trying to do "towing twins" that make into the 600's reliably.

I was thinking a Box charger for the top would be economical, but realizing one trimmed the way i need isn't so cheap. In that regard if I'm spending a fair amount of money on the bottom charger, i feel i could start with the hx35 on top, then move to a he351 or s300 frame as my money comes back around, and can make more educated decisions about my setup.

Does that seem to make sense?

Oh god, if i say it will start a flame war! And that should say it all right there!

All the kids that come through the shop ARE the flat biller jack ass types. I pretty much just keep to myself.

i run a 62/65/14 and it spools instantly, however mines a common rail. i plan on running a s478 as a primary when i have the time to put it together. id say stick with a 475 as a primary vs a ht3b and a 62 as a secondary.

Back