sb dual disk questions/ issues

coorsman2005

i like beer
I cant remember what model mine is. but recently when i let out on the clutch in reverse it grabs really hard and my pedal gets a little soft. foward gears dont do it. clutch seems normal besides when using reverse. Also at idle in neutral rest your foot on the pedal you can feel a pretty good vibration. I know this sounds like b.s. but its real all the guys at work wonder wtf im doing in the mornings backing in. Lets here the thoughts thanks alot guys

The vibration you feel in your foot could be the clutch fork contacting release fingers on the pressure plate. Not sure why the clutch would grab harder in reverse than in any forward gear. To me that seems more like a trans problem.
Sean

be nice to know pressure plate load? Did you do the hydrolic upgrades when you installed the clutch.

Think the pressure plate is 3500#. I did upgrade the hydrolic system as well. When i noticed the vibration. I started thinkin possible bent fingers on the pressure plate. While realeasing the clutch its letting one side of the clutch disk grab before the other and maybe sucking them together? Im not sure what a pressure plate with bent fingers would actually do though. The clutch has about 40k on it maybe no pulls (besides trailers) and no races. Thanks guys

Last edited:
There is also a washer behind the pivot ball stud that is supposed to be removed for clearance reasons. And I have read that if that is skipped during the installation it can lead to the fork hitting the fingers. If you haven't yet, I would call Peter at south bend, very helpfully and informative guy, and he's never seemed short or bothered when I have called him. And if anybody knows what is happening with your clutch it would him.
Sean

Ya i remember removing the washer. i almost missed it untill i started reading but it did get removed. Of somone has a number i could reach him at could you send me a pm with his number plz thanks again guys

Thanks i will call sb tomorrow. You say it sounds more like a trans prob. What do you think could cause it.

I don't know the internals of these transmissions very well, but just figure clutch and input shaft operation is the same in every gear so it seems like the issue is more likely in the trans itself. But again I have relatively limited knowledge on these things and could be wrong.
Sean

update the guys at south bend are on a mission to figure this out. they are helping me out alot . they are a great bunch of guys. will know more next wk

Back