Scheid / PPL Tire Rule

WisconsinHick1

I was looking at getting my pulling tires sipped. I have been told by others sipping is not allowed. Is this true?

I was looking at getting my pulling tires sipped. I have been told by others sipping is not allowed. Is this true?

Try your luck, you will probably get by a few times with it. Of course if you place higher, don't be surprised if your Dq'd.

So its one of those unwritten rules. Some consider a sipped tire a cut tire and some don't always fun playing little games when we're all grown ups....... Well at least most of us are.

Its not really noticeable unless your looking right at the tire tread. I have heard of tire shops doing it to normal road tires for cars and trucks for better traction in like rain and snow.

It depends how aggressive you get with the siping, just a little and u doubt anybody will care. Cut the crap out of it and you'll get noticed, its worth a shot.

Wanted: tapatalk signature

Well after a few hooks u can notice it, the dirt will get funny. It really isn't playing games. That is how things are. If u don't win peole usually don't care if your cheating.

Well after a few hooks u can notice it, the dirt will get funny. It really isn't playing games. That is how things are. If u don't win peole usually don't care if your cheating.

And that's what is wrong with a lot of this. If you get last place and you are cheating you should still be DQ'd.

And that's what is wrong with a lot of this. If you get last place and you are cheating you should still be DQ'd.

Yes I agree, but is it really a big deal if someone cheats and still can't get in the money?

Yes I agree, but is it really a big deal if someone cheats and still can't get in the money?

It's not a huge deal but it sets a presedence for how truck pulling is run. And there is a good chance that a person could sooner or later get in to the money and then what? You tell them that you could pull with out passing the rules before but not now????? That is not the correct way to handle that situation. This is also coming from someone who has tech'd trucks before, I am probably looked at as a dick but at least all the trucks in the class fit in the rules and that is fair to everyone.

Sipes is considered cutting so if it says no cut tires it is illegal.

It's not a huge deal but it sets a presedence for how truck pulling is run. And there is a good chance that a person could sooner or later get in to the money and then what? You tell them that you could pull with out passing the rules before but not now????? That is not the correct way to handle that situation. This is also coming from someone who has tech'd trucks before, I am probably looked at as a dick but at least all the trucks in the class fit in the rules and that is fair to everyone.

I don't disagree, however most of the folks that are cheating know that they are cheating, or at least pushing the rules. So it is usually a matter of time before they get caught. I haven't seen too many folks that were ignorant of their cheating. Usually the cheaters help keep the show exciting when the parts are left on the track.

If I was going to do it, I probably wouldn't post a thread about it. Just my 2 cents LOL

I wouldn't do it if its against the rules that's why I raised the question. I just wanted to get everyones mixed opinion before I spent the money.

I just want to play far. Its just interesting factory siped tires are legal then like Duratracs. In my eye a sip is a sip from the factory or not.

Last edited:
i would assume so, if not "factory siped" then would be consider to be "cut"...dang technicalities :pop:

Yes it anybody can buy the tire over the counter it is legal. If you have to have it done it is classified as cutting the tire. If you let sipping be legal why can't I cut the tread to make them hook better? Cutting is cutting.

It's not a huge deal but it sets a presedence for how truck pulling is run. And there is a good chance that a person could sooner or later get in to the money and then what? You tell them that you could pull with out passing the rules before but not now?????

That same situation happened this year. They still let him pull the whole last half of the season as a the top truck.

So a tire that is siped from the manufacturer is legit, but siping them yourself is not.......?

From a tech standpoint...Yes.
This happens with other rules as well.

Some tires are better than others, some turbos are better than others, etc. etc. It's part of pulling.....unless you force someone to make alterations to be legal.....

If you happen to buy the right tire, so be it. Look at how many people bought STS's or Duratracs (or the BFG AT's years ago), because of how they performed.

Also (and most likely key), when you allow someone to "alter" a tire, where does it stop (much like turbo's)? Also not every truck responds the same to part X or Y.

If a club allowed siping, how would it be defined? And do you then allow "cut" tires? Some guys sipes would look very much like cuts. I can already see the argument. Guys would be saying that you can sipe next to a sipe, next to that sipe, next to that sipe, next to that sipe, etc removing a fairly decent sized portion of tread (effectively cutting......[EDIT] See Tad's comment). Or do you say no sipes closer than 3/32" where guys are teching muddy tires in the pits with vernier calipers????

By only allowing "factory sipes" it makes teching so much easier and keeps the spirit of a DOT tire class (one less thing to scrutinize as it should be a quick visual tech).

Last edited:
Back