School me about tuners and stacking on a VP truck

skav

Im trying to sort out a few things on my 99 and one of the questions I have is about tuners and stacking.

Right now I have a smarty on level 2. The last time I was at the shop, a power puck was also connected to test. In my other thread, I was told that I should pull the pp and stack an edge comp drag hot w the smarty because it offes more than the pp.

Here are my questions.

1. Smarty
What does the smarty control?
From what I've read, it replaces the stock tune w whatever program you select. There are fuel+timing tunes and straight fuel tunes. It also corrects tire size for the speedo.
What is the max HP/tq gain from the smarty?
I've been told that all levels produce the same power, but get there differently. More aggressive as you go higher in the levels.
Is the smarty mainly for low end, or will it fuel to higher rpm?

2. Redline box
This was originally on the truck, and I was told that it extended the fueling to higher rpms for a short amount of time.
Any info on this?
Does the rl tap the fuel wire?

3. Power puck
From what I read, this is a plug and play 60-80hp tune.
It does not tap the fuel wire and adds fuel+timing.
Does the pp add more to the bottom or top?

4. Edge comp drag hot
I read that this box changes fuel and timing and will fuel harder through the rpm and add fueling to around 3200rpm. Also that it has a display and that you can adjust power levels on the fly up to 120-130hp. From what I understand, you have to tap the fuel wire.
Does this box control anything else?
Does the edge do anything different than the smarty?

Which tuner is best when used by itself?
What would be the reason for stacking?
Does the smarty work best down low and the edge work better up high?
If they both add fuel and timing, does one override?
Seems like you could get too much timing that way. (maybe why the smarty has fuel only programs)

Any other insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Drag comp only is still the highest hp and fastest track times iirc. Been a while since I looked.

I don't see any reason to stack. The juice/comp box with hot level has always been a good box, they last forever, and rarely have issues. The Quadzilla Adrenaline is my favorite. Other than the 1st gen monitor, I haven't had any issues. There are alot of parameter to play with, and this thing hits harder than any box I've had.

Those are the only 2 I would consider, unless you are pulling and want 4k. Then I'd go with Redline or Adrenaline 4k. Only issue with adrenaline 4k is some trucks don't get along with it too well.

From what I've seen from the guys with VP trucks I know, the Redline will be the hardest fueling thing out there.

But here's what I've seen as far as reliability is concerned.
Redlines fuel hard, but will destroy pumps if ran with big injectors. The guy I know successfully running one has a stock VP and 150's.

Drag Comp/Smarty is a good overall dd tune, just watch the timing.
I've seen great results with a drag comp only on trucks that are heavily fueled mechanically (aftermarket VP's and large injectors)

Power Puck, I've never used one or know anybody who runs one so I'm no help.

I personally like the Quadzilla Adrenaline with pulse monitor, it's what we use on our VP farm trucks. They're very tunable.
Also I the trucks I'm around are DD/farm trucks that may see a sled once a year, as far as I'm concerned if you're pulling/racing just P-pump it.

However I have no idea what you're truck is other than a 99 or what you're planning to do with it. More information would be helpful. Just my $.02

From what I've seen from the guys with VP trucks I know, the Redline will be the hardest fueling thing out there.

But here's what I've seen as far as reliability is concerned.
Redlines fuel hard, but will destroy pumps if ran with big injectors. The guy I know successfully running one has a stock VP and 150's.

Drag Comp/Smarty is a good overall dd tune, just watch the timing.
I've seen great results with a drag comp only on trucks that are heavily fueled mechanically (aftermarket VP's and large injectors)

Power Puck, I've never used one or know anybody who runs one so I'm no help.

I personally like the Quadzilla Adrenaline with pulse monitor, it's what we use on our VP farm trucks. They're very tunable.
Also I the trucks I'm around are DD/farm trucks that may see a sled once a year, as far as I'm concerned if you're pulling/racing just P-pump it.

However I have no idea what you're truck is other than a 99 or what you're planning to do with it. More information would be helpful. Just my $.02

I've been trying to sort out a few things. Thanks for the info

Here's a link to my other post w info on the truck.
Trying to dial in my 99 twin turbo-questions? - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again just like I said in your other thread the search button will show you everything you want to know about a VP truck. Please try to use it as this question has been asked a million times and you have like 3 other threads basically asking the same thing. Not trying to be a dik but the search button does work.

sent from my 4g galaxy tab

Back