Shocks of choice

Headcase98002

Hoping this is in the right section. I going from having a 1" spacer in the front of my DRW to removing it and dropping the rear 1.5" of my now converted SRW. It's sitting on some 33x12.5R17's. I currently have some cheap Rough Country Nitrogen filled shocks and looking some something better, but not break the bank.

I did some searching, but didn't come up with much. It's a daily driver and could use a better ride.

I will suggest the Fox Shock 2.0's. Decent shocks and decent prices.

Cool, found some on Xtreme for a decent price, also found Fleece's low pro shock mount and Bilstein's 5100 series....

Opinions?

I liked my 5100 ' s when I put them on, however one died in under 8000 mi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

That's stinks, a friend of mine put some on his truck and said it made the truck ride worse , I think it's his 3" leveling kit on factory control arms.

I think Fox has my business. What do you think of the fleece shock mount? I wanting to add a 1.25" spacer on my S400 in stock location and I'm afraid I'm gonna hit the shock tower.

I just ordered a set of Thuren's king shocks for the 2nd gen. I got so !@#$! fed up with just about banging my head off the liner hitting potholes in town.
I tried 2 sets of rancho adjustables, and a set of bilsteins, I think the real issue is the spring rate. Im gutting the leaf and adding air bags for when I haul.

I went ahead and ordered a set of Fox's aluminum bodied shocks. The rear are on back order, but the front ones are in my possession.

Since you question spring rate, I found a few good things possibly. MOOG makes progressive rate coil springs. Not sure your ride height, but the 3/4 !ton gas springs have a 321# spring rate with a 625# load rating. The diesel spring have a 400# spring rate with a 629# load rating. They are only around $75 on Summit and I've been tossing the idea around about trying them.

How will the gas spring affect the ride or lower the front?
What is the factory rate for the 3/4 - 1 ton front springs?

Last edited:
I had plenty of room when I had compounds on it a year or so back. I was just looking to go crazy with them this time.

My rear shocks finally showed up, I also placed an order for MOOG's Pregressive rate springs, Part #CC1710. I'll post results once they are installed.

Im interested in the results with the springs. Glad you decided with the Fox's though. They seem to be a good shock and not terribly priced.

Got the MOOG pregressive rate springs installed along with the front shocks, I've only driven it a couple miles down a flurry road and it does seem to help a lot. I'll know for sure once I drive on the interstate. Ride height is the same, the shocks were a mofo to install. They were 10x stiffer to compress then the Nitrogen filled shocks I was running.

I'm curious now about how much the ride is effected when the rear overload is removed. Not sure if I mentioned before, but I'm at stock height in the front an I swapped my 4" rear block for a 2.5" block(it's a 3500 rear leaf pack from when it was a dually).

Got the MOOG pregressive rate springs installed along with the front shocks, I've only driven it a couple miles down a flurry road and it does seem to help a lot. I'll know for sure once I drive on the interstate. Ride height is the same, the shocks were a mofo to install. They were 10x stiffer to compress then the Nitrogen filled shocks I was running.

I'm curious now about how much the ride is effected when the rear overload is removed. Not sure if I mentioned before, but I'm at stock height in the front an I swapped my 4" rear block for a 2.5" block(it's a 3500 rear leaf pack from when it was a dually).

In theory it shouldn't effect the ride at all unloaded. As there is no tension on the overloads, unless loaded and the ends are touching the upper bumpers.

I would think if you hit a big bp the spring would compress more without the overload? I'm not sure, I was also thinking about pulling out both the overload and the second spring and installing Carli's 5-pack add-a-pack.

I'd have to measure how much the leafs would have to compress to touch the overloads. Its quite a bit of travel, that'd have to be a hell of a pot hole !

My truck doesn't have one of those, I was referring to the 1" thick leaf at the bottom of the pack, it's it doesn't completely touch the other leaves I till they compress a little.

Back