Shop floor drains

bradley59dzl

Finally getting ready for concrete in new shop. 50x72 with (5) 12ft wide doors across.. What are your opinions on floor drains? Trench style the whole width, drains in between bays? I'm having a difficult time deciding and its holding up progress.

Of the different shops I've worked in, I've liked the single drain in front of the doors that spans the shop length the best. Easy access when cleaning your bay, the only thing I didn't like was lazy techs dumping oil and coolant down the drains when they thought no one was looking.

as far as i know in PA floor drains are no longer allowed to be installed, old ones are to be filled with concrete and blocked off...

When we built our new shop two years ago, we just sloped the floor towards the doors to let water run off in the winter. Just don't like drains because always getting filled with crud and stuff getting dumped in them that shouldn't.

as far as i know in PA floor drains are no longer allowed to be installed, old ones are to be filled with concrete and blocked off...

I currently have a set of blueprints on my desk for a new Toyota dealership that has trench drains and floor drains in the restrooms, service department, service bay, detail shop, and car wash...

Ahh, your not allowed to collect rain water either.... I dont follow rules well. I have a hard time letting people tell me how or how I can't spend my own money on my own property.

I currently have a set of blueprints on my desk for a new Toyota dealership that has trench drains and floor drains in the restrooms, service department, service bay, detail shop, and car wash...
That may be, if it's sent to be treated, not a French drain. Only if it is sent to on site sewer or separation tank...

That may be, if it's sent to be treated, not a French drain. Only if it is sent to on site sewer or separation tank...

I agree with this. We designed a wash station for a local municipality to wash out their garbage trucks. Local and NYS Department of Environmental Conservation regulations required that we install a grit chamber and a oil/ water separator. That being said this was built for municipal use, if it was built for personal use I'm not sure what would have been required. I don't know about running the shop drains to your septic system, but I'd bet my lunch money that you'd be required to put in at least a oil/ water separator.

I understand what your saying about regulations requiring you to do certain things and your anxiety about spending your money on what your told to, but think about the environment man. I'm not an environmentalist or a tree huger, but you don't want your drains dumping oil, anti freeze and anything else that spills onto your shop floor into your yard or local stream, do you?

I understand what your saying about regulations requiring you to do certain things and your anxiety about spending your money on what your told to, but think about the environment man. I'm not an environmentalist or a tree huger, but you don't want your drains dumping oil, anti freeze and anything else that spills onto your shop floor into your yard or local stream, do you?

I use floor drains for water... I do not foresee me putting antifreeze or oil down my floor drains.

Convince the DEC of that... Nobody intends to spill antifreeze or miss the drain pain when changing their oil. It doesn't matter if it is a table spoon or a 55 gallon drum. Its still pollution.

If it is for personal use I don't see it being a problem. But if it is commercial use it may.

I think only going to put a drain in the one bay to use for washing vehicles in the winter time. I was looking for preference in drain styles.

Back