Shop Truck Build

torrington

I was going to ask about it as well, and if it's in a place that will self contain if it fails.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

The torrington setup replaces the thrust washers in the transmission. The thrust washers are similar to a thrust bearing in an engine. Roller bearings create less metal debris and don't wear like a thrust washer does. If they do fail there is no way to contain them. These transmissions already use roller bearings in the overdrive and torque converter, which rarely fail. The torrington setup isn't something new either, there have been builders implementing them for years. AA transmission does it, BD does it, and there is a builder out west that puts them in his trans too.

I can't post anything without sounding critical when I don't mean to be. Thank you for answering.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Made a lot of progress on the truck, worked on it for 3 days whilst I was "on vacation" Anyhow here are some pictures. Something that has been bugging me for a while on the truck is the nasty wire loom, and all of the sloppy solder joint and butt connector tie ins associated with the TPS, Crank signal, map, OD cancel, etc for PCS and blow off valve signal. I de loomed the whole harness, tied in to the wires internally and re loomed it with fresh loom. It still needs to be clamped to the engine and secured but it already looks way better. On top of the added appearance I implemented a 12 pin deutsch connector for all of the tie ins to the factor harness, so it passes through the firewall nicely. Also, got the trans in after making a last minute decision to install a bolt in sprag (helps keep the case alive launching in D1). We tig welded the rear ring gear for reinforcement while we were in there again too (I've seen the spot welds crack before!) So with all that being said, there is a trans in the truck, an engine in the truck and a wiring harness. All is fastened with stainless steel hardware too.

Engine In!!
32879318921_be4d720648_z.jpg
[/url]

Harnesses de cluttered and de loomed
32849786672_f171b305cd_z.jpg
[/url]

Ball of old loom
32879320071_f2328d4c7d_z.jpg
[/url]

Re-Loomed
32849786042_b11dbcdc57_z.jpg
[/url]

Roughly installed (still needs to be clamped and secured)
32623238510_1495b34187_z.jpg
[/url]

Bolt in sprag Installation tool (drill jig)
32623238270_43c744f656_z.jpg
[/url]

Bolt in sprag and welded rear ring gear
32879319851_e368f78604_z.jpg
[/url]

Transmission installed!
32849786392_0127e77a4e_z.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Nice attention to detail. I have been contemplating tackling the cracking wire loom while my cab is off the chassis.

No insulation in the transmission tunnel?

Back