Slight Rattle on acceleration

Dusterb318

Regular Jackoff
The other night I noticed a slight rattle on acceleration only from a stop. It doesn't happen in park or neutral only in gear. I adjusted the valves just to make sure they are okay and everything is good there. The only other change would be I installed a Tork-Tek ofv. It was a non adjustable orifice style .060 IIRC. Im gonna swap the shimmed stock ofv back in tomorrow and check the injection line clamps tomorrow but just wanted to see if anyone else has ran across this and give me another place to look.

Last edited:
Swapped the OFV out this morning and it's still there...which I kind of expected. All the injection line clamps are tight. I found the high side A/C line had a little wiggle and snugged the clamps down on it but no good. Could an exhaust manifold gasket vibrate and cause this? I have had a slight tick which I think is an exhaust leak since it started after the exhaust manifold was installed. It only does it for a second and then stops and only from a dead stop. If I get a chance I'm going to put it on the rack today and run it and see if i can get it to rattle while I can look at it.

Got a little more info.....It only does it in first gear. It sounds an awful lot like a solenoid clicking rapidly so I am wondering if it could be the governor pressure solenoid? With the jumper wire in place of the relay for my lock up switch I have noticed that if I leave the key on to work on something the gov pressure solenoid will start clicking so Im wondering if there is an issues with it. The truck drives and shifts fine and its only in first gear.

Found it today.....the motor mounts are flexing and allowing the fan to contact to shroud. So it looks like I need new mounts. Should I just get stock ones from Dodge or go with the Energy Suspension inserts?

I have no usefull advice.

Mine has had a simular vibration, right at 950 RPM and only in first. It started right after a trans rebuild. I noticed a washer under a bellhousing bolt that is contacting the down pipe (5" DP on twins is a tight fit). I should check the motor mounts as well, although mine only have about 5,000 miles on them they could have loosened up.

I run poly mounts on gassers and like them a lot. I have not run them on a diesel though.

Epically post by a dumb phone.

I pulled the fan and took it for a drive and the rattle is gone. I'm headed to the dyno on Saturday so I need to fix it this week. Summit has the inserts so I can get them tomorrow since I live 20 minutes from their warehouse. If the stock mounts are better than the inserts I'll go that way. I tried searching but there wasn't anything definite. I to have used poly mounts on passer builds but they were always full mounts not inserts. If i understand correctly these inserts replace the rubber in the stock brackets.

yes they replace the rubber in your current mount. I like mine but have no experience with the stock ones

I ordered new OEM mounts from the dealer this morning. I'm gonna change the trans mount as well just to be safe.

Glad you fixed it. I have a similar problem and my mounts have 250,000 miles on them.

Back