small leak only when towing?

BUCKSHOT

03 allison- a slow leak under the driver side. I think it only does it when I tow a trailer. I washed it down with some engine bright after I saw it the first time and tow a trailer yesterday and today and the bottom side is wet now. Any ideas? Maybe coming from the black shifter piece underneth?

Then stop towing! Seriously though, post up some pics. Do you think it's engine or tranny related? Is there any in front of the shifter?

Last edited:
not much to leak other than the pan, PTO cover, or like you said shifter shaft.
It should show at least just a little while not towing. Best bet I guess is to clean it again and keep a check on it when not towing.

Heres the pic for BUCKSHOT

85be14ed.jpg

Possibly the front shaft seal but I'd look farther forward also. The wind will blow the fluid to the rear and there seems to be none or at least not much on the t-case housing. Fluid wouldn't be too forward of the leak and it's clearly farther forward than the pic shows (u joints/ shaft).

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking at first too because it's hard to tell on these clean trucks like this and mine. Aggravates me when I try to track something down under there and then to look at other trucks with dirt and mud hanging everywhere and you can immediately tell where the leaks originate.

I say clean it real good and then tow with it and turn down a dusty road with it. Only way I know to find it without dye.

What fluid is in the T-case ? I would be able to tell on mine because there's motor oil in the t-case so you could tell by the fluid.

Leak at Transfer case

Check for transfer case rub thru problem which lets the fluid [Red Dexron ATF from factory} out of transfer case will blow everywhere and will destroy the transfercase if oil level gets too low. Check out Merchant Automotive Site for best repair kit and they have video will repair suggestions.

Mine is doing the same thing. Slings **** EVERYWHERE towing or not towing. I can check all the fluids, and everything is perfect. I even took it to a buddy that owns a shop to get a second optnion. Pulled every dipstick and unscrewed every plug and nothing was low at all. I still check it out here and there, but nothing drips on the drive, it's just slung everywhere.

Hmmm....sounds just like mine. Clean it really well and keep a close eye on it. Mine is the seal between the trans and t-case

Back