Solid engine mounts

unfinished business

Does anyone run solid engine mounts? This will mainly be a drag vehicle but will see some street action. I am talking about my 70 chevelle with a mid 90's 12 valve. It will hopefully be around 600 hp at the crank...tops.

I am not worried about vibration.

I am worried about destroying the block or trans.

I am not sure how much the chassis will deflect on the car.

Also, I have noticed that most aftermarket option has a bit of poly or somekind of material that will "give", but I am not sure if it is really an appreciable amount.

All thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Thank you,

Paul Vasko

Carli makes a semi solid mount but you'd have to use Commonrail brackets.

Thank you both for the pointing out some options.

I am familiar with aftermarket "semi" solid mounts. What I am wondering is, does anyone actually run solid mounts with success or has anyone actually damaged and engine by using solid mounts?

Also, do the semi solid mounts really flex that much to help avoid block distortion or is it negligible anyway?

I have solid mounts in my toy truck
elephant ear style on the front of the engine next to the oil pan there is two bolt holes on each side of the front case.
Been abusing the truck for four or five years this way.
A lot of people say to go with solid trans mount too but I don't because in my mind the frame flexes so much I think the trans would break as the weak link...

Thank you very much for sharing your experience sir! I never thought about going at the front of the engine like that. My mounts go from the stock four bolt locations on the side of the block to the frame. Needless to say, there is a bolted connection between the engine and frame for easy removal.

I have solid mounts in my toy truck
elephant ear style on the front of the engine next to the oil pan there is two bolt holes on each side of the front case.
Been abusing the truck for four or five years this way.
A lot of people say to go with solid trans mount too but I don't because in my mind the frame flexes so much I think the trans would break as the weak link...

By the way, I love your build!

We have solid mounts from the original 12v bolt holes along with a mid plate. We don't use a trans mount. We hang the trans and xfer off the back of the engine.

If you did run solid mounts with a trans mount, just support the trans with the mount and leave the trans mounting bolts loose...about a 1/2" between the bolt head and the mount.

Last edited:
We have solid mounts from the original 12v bolt holes along with a mid plate. We don't use a trans mount. We hang the trans and xfer off the back of the engine.

If you did run solid mounts with a trans mount, just support the trans with the mount and leave the trans mounting bolts loose...about a 1/2" between the bolt head and the mount.

Great to know! Thank you very much for the information!

The S10 is CR, but it's on solid mounts. The trans is on polyurethane mount. Haven't seen anything weird at 850hp.

You say you're going to do some daily driving. It's going to be very noisy, and I'm sure you can live with that, but if you're doing a lot of miles, it could be bad for the chassis.

The number one thing that hurts vehicles (that I found after doing vehicle design for some time), is engine input. When you move to solid mounts, and increase the RPMs of the engine, you're going to be asking for cracks all over the frame, body, electronics failing, etc... This doesn't happen instantly, but it happens with miles and hours and with solid mounts, it's insanely accelerated. I've seen lots of tests that a solid mount correlates something like 20hrs = 150,000 miles.

Just throwing it out there! Good luck!

You say you're going to do some daily driving. It's going to be very noisy, and I'm sure you can live with that, but if you're doing a lot of miles, it could be bad for the chassis.

The number one thing that hurts vehicles (that I found after doing vehicle design for some time), is engine input. When you move to solid mounts, and increase the RPMs of the engine, you're going to be asking for cracks all over the frame, body, electronics failing, etc... This doesn't happen instantly, but it happens with miles and hours and with solid mounts, it's insanely accelerated. I've seen lots of tests that a solid mount correlates something like 20hrs = 150,000 miles.

Wow, that's crazy!!! I'll keep that in mind with my Duramax... I have the Merchant Mounts on it now, but we were thinking about doing something more solid...

Wow! Thank you for throwing that out there! What kind of engine and chassis were the tests conducted with. Not being a dick...just asking to get a baseline.

Thank you,

Paul

Wow! Thank you for throwing that out there! What kind of engine and chassis were the tests conducted with. Not being a dick...just asking to get a baseline.

Thank you,

Paul

Semi trucks in my past life, and lots of other vehicles in my current.

Road inputs are cake, engine inputs do some crazy things!

I don't take any offense, and you can use that info or not. I just thought I'd throw it out there!

Wow, that's crazy!!! I'll keep that in mind with my Duramax... I have the Merchant Mounts on it now, but we were thinking about doing something more solid...

Yeah, it's just something to think about. At the end of the day, technically everything is a wearable item on a long enough time period.

Last edited:
Back