Speed limiter on 12V?

gstanfield

Are we there yet?
I decided that I'd see how fast my truck would run and just dropped the hammer. It would not run above 100mph, even though the tach was only at apporx 2700rpm. I could hold 95mph steady, but when I gave it more thottle it just went up to 99 and stopped accelerating. Do they have some kind of limiter on these engine? If so what do I do to fix it?

Thanks,
George

a 3k gsk will get ya up to about 3200 rpms
a 4k gsk will get ya up to about 3800-4000 rpms.
But, if ya put in the 4k gsk, you will have to get some 60lb valve springs to keep the valves from floating.

OK, I'll just leave it alone if it's just the rev limiter. I thought the engine would at least rev to the indicated redline, but if not then I'm OK with running just shy of 100mph. I don't want to overrev my engine and cut down on my reliability.

Thanks,
George

a spring kit does not hurt the pump or motor in any way.
some of the pro pullers run their 12v's up to 5500 rpms. But they build the motor to handle it.
Just install a 3k gsk which will increase rpms SAFELY up to about 3200 rpms.

So, where do you get these springs? I have not yet really found sources for good aftermarket stuff yet, been enjoying the truck stock for now.

George

It'll be like the truck woke up from hybernation after you stick a GSK in. Many vendors listed somewhere on this site will have them. Just a quick example is Peirs Diesel Research, and perf. diesel warehouse. I would post a link, but I dont think they are vendors here.

Piers, ATS, TST, sheids, haisley all of those shops have spring kits.
When you get the kit, it come with a total of four springs. A pair of each the outer and the inner spring. The kit normally also comes with a new spring seat that you put in before the springs. There will be a very large spring (the outermost) that stays in the truck at all times during the install. This large outermost spring controls the idle of the truck.

The installation itself is not that hard, just follow the instructions that come with the kit (if they have them). If not, go to www.cumminsdatabase.com for some good write ups on installing a gsk.

Back