starts in 2nd 48re

dangerous06

diesel tech
I've replaced everything! Even the tranny and still no first gear unless I put it in 1!
What could it possibly be? Same situation with main harness unplugged at tranny. What controls the shift starting in 1st When put in drive?
About to install a grenade! :nail:

After reading for hours found info on a voltage regulator by DTT. Anybody running one? I am running a Goerend Constant pressure valve body! Always at 180.

After reading for hours found info on a voltage regulator by DTT. Anybody running one? I am running a Goerend Constant pressure valve body! Always at 180.

If the rear Sprag got put in back wards or your rear drum where it goes into the sprag is broke you will only have manuel 1st, does it start in 2nd when in drive or slip if it slips that points to the rear sprag. If the computer sees to much line pressure it will go into limp mode and start in 2nd gear that is where
the DTT voltage regulator helps.

Yeah the computer is seeing to much line pressure! Any easy fix? That doesn't cost a hundred bucks?! Got a diagram of the main plug at the tranny I'm going to read voltage going to the computer.

Well crap jumped in the truck this morning and BEHOLD I have 1st gear! Guess it needed to think about the new parts AND my death threat! All is good in the ram world tonight!

Now that the tranny is shifting through the gears correctly I have sloppy 2-3 shift anybody have any ideas? Front band too loose? Apply lever or? When I say sloppy I mean not a smooth shift kind of laggy, clunky just sloppy!

I did a 47re yesterday. Went for a drive and it was starting in 2nd. It was 1 1/2 quarts low. Filled it and problem solved. It could be that simple. Otherwise get a Trans pressure gauge and start testing ports. Also the 1-2 shift would hang a little. I adjusted the band from 2 1/4 to 1 3/4 turns. Helped alot.

Last edited:
New Harness and transducer fixed the start in 2nd issue and a half a turn tighter fixed the slop!

Back