Stereo build opinions

texsasdiesel

Hey all,

I've got the stock infinity system in my 03, and when i get back from this deployment I decided it's gonna be time to step it up and replace all the factory stuff. I've done some reading and know that i'll basically have to remove the entire Infinity system, which is fine by me, will give me something to do on my R&R. I don't really know that i want a sub right off the bat, but might add one later, so I wanted to do a 5 Channel amp and run the front 3.5s off the head unit, the front/rear doors off the amp and have an open chanel for a sub later on if i deem it necessary. I'm not trying to blast anyone out, just want a nice solid upgrade from stock and something to tailgate w/. Here's the list of what i'd like to run:

1. Pioneer Avic z120bt (i've got the double din bezel coming from weedahoe)
2. JL Audio XD 700/5 (amp)
3. Polk db351 (3.5")
4. Polk db651s (6.5")
5. Boston Acoustics SR95 (6"x9")

Later on i'll add some headrest dvd screens, if anyone has any options on those i'd like to hear them as well.

Any help or opinions are welcomed,

Thanks,
James

James,

Why don't you go with a component set in the front? You could do some 2 or 3 ways rather than 3.5's off the head unit and 6.5s off the amp.

It's going to be hard to tune the system running speakers off the head unit and then speakers off the amp. When I build a system, I use the RCA out's for everything. That way all the music has the same 'sound', the volume on all the speakers will be even at any level because the signal source is the same for all the amplified outputs (hope that makes sense).

If you want to retain the factory head unit and run an outboard amp, take a look at something like the JL Audio "Cleansweep". It will take the factory stereo, clean up the eq curve making it more ideal for an amp. It will also create the RCA outputs you will need for the amp and also the trigger for switching the power.

How are you planning on using the monitors? Gaming system? Videos? Run from the head unit or a separate video source?

Lewis

Last edited:
no i have no desire to run the factory h/u, that's why i'm got the z120bt. the 6.5s will be 2 ways that i'll run my lows through and the 6x9s are 3 ways (both running off the amp). The 3.5s were just to replace the existing 3.5s that come w/ the infinity system on the truck and i believe they are two ways and i'll be able to just run my highs through them. I definitely see what you're saying about tuning a system that doesn't have all the same input source, i was really just doing it that way so i could just run one 5 channel amp instead of a 6 channel plus an add't amp for a sub if i wanted one later, kinda being lazy and i'm not building anythign for competition, just tailgaiting and crusing really.

Monitors will be from the h/u itself. from what i've read and seen i can run a movie for the rear monitors and still listen to music up front, a dual zone unit and eventually i'd like to add an additional source like a PS3 or something. So the monitors would need to have two inputs obviously. This truck will be with me for the rest of its life and will more than likely be the future family vehicle for road trips at some point.

You can still run a 5 channel amp. The front outs will go into the crossover supplied with the component speakers....and then out to the tweeters and the mids from the crossover.

If you are going to go through all this work, I would look at doing some sound deadening in the doors at a minimum. Roof is a big help too.

Sounds like you are on the right track!

already planning on doing the sound deading, i understand that components would just run off four channels and replace the tweeters that i am getting w/ the 3.5s, but then i have to find a place for the tweeters for the components and then hide the crossovers, right? i'm too lazy to do that lol, i figure i can just run a 6 channel amp and then if i decide to run a sub later i'll just add a mono for the sub won't have to worry about tuning issues then and will just have to run the 3.5s and the 6.9s on the same channel since i've only got 3 pre-amp outputs.

Thanks for the input,
James

Last edited:
hell, i forgot that you could run the 2nd amps RCA off the output of the first, so i can just run a 6 channel and always just get an additional mono for my sub, if/when i want one. I'll just to that.

Back