Sticking plungers or rack?

ahale2772

I have an issue with my truck were after a hard pull, the injection pump does some weird things. it will stay at about 3/4 throttle after a WOT pull, and when it does drop to idle, it stays there, despite any pedal input that I give it.If I let the truck cruise with very little throttle for a few minutes, it will be fine. usually when it sticks, it only sticks enought to maintain the speed I am going, it does not seem to be running away uncontrolably. the only time it seemed to run away was the last time it happened where I had to ride the brakes to keep the truck from taking off, after that I tore the afc apart, made sure the afc foot was adjusted low (it was) and raised the contact point of the gov arm.

seems to me like the rack is sticking, but where would it? and why only after a hard pull?

I assume if it was a scored plunger that was not rotating back to idle, it would be scored enough that it would cause a skip...but the truck runs fine.

any advice appreciated

I agree... the point of me asking is to find out where, and if there is anything that I can do to confirm.

also i was going to say check your governor springs your gov could be hanging as well

sounds exactly like what happened to mine just before it ran away and would not shut off. pump shop said rack stuck ... best of luck with it..

i'd lean more toward your external return spring setups on your rod linkage setup.

sounds exactly like what happened to mine just before it ran away and would not shut off. pump shop said rack stuck ... best of luck with it..

thanks, Lenahan, I have checked, rechecked, and checked again.

It did it to me again bad today, on the highway, after a 1/2 throttle pull.

pedal would stick in any position, then I could hear what sounded like a cylinder miss.

I guess I need a new pump, ugh.:bang

one of these nights I will pull the DV;s out and roll the engine over to see if I can notice a crappy looking barrel.

That truck is giving you hell... Pretty soon you'll have it all sorted out! Keep at it!

Back