Stock 12v manifold modification

Ram12vcummins

Playing with the idea of porting the stock exhaust manifold on my truck. Anyone do this and get any results? Read something about modifying the stock turbo exhaust flange but can't seem to find that info again. Thanks

I've gasket matched a 12v and 24v manifold. I am sure it helps given the amount of material it takes to get it matched but any actual hard results are a null point since I had done them while doing a turbo swap at the same time.

I gasket matched a stock 24v manifold and turbine housing and I feel I saw an improvement. It was only modification done at the time.

Did you guys do any matching on the head as well? Any experience with burrs from ebay? Seem to be little cheaper than around home but don't want garbage that will fly apart.

I gasket matched the head, manifold and turbo. I changed too much to give a accurate results. No dyno numbers, I had to have my manifold surfaced on the ports I broke a carbide and spun it across the gasket sealing surface. I image every bit helps with smooth transitions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just spent nearly 2 hours porting my stock manifold. There is a lot you can take out of it if you take your time. I won't be able to give any kind of result on it as I'm putting on a new ported head and s465 charger. All ported and gasket matched together.

I just spent nearly 2 hours porting my stock manifold. There is a lot you can take out of it if you take your time. I won't be able to give any kind of result on it as I'm putting on a new ported head and s465 charger. All ported and gasket matched together.

You ported your head but didn't spend the cash on an aftermarket manifold! You're crazy!

But I'm thinking a ported head isn't going to do a ton when it still has to push through a T3 foot.

Did you remove lots on the head side of the manifold?

yes. I took out quite a bit.

You ported your head but didn't spend the cash on an aftermarket manifold! You're crazy!

But I'm thinking a ported head isn't going to do a ton when it still has to push through a T3 foot.

Budget. And just wanting to see how well it works. The amount of meat that you can remove in that foot is ridiculous. Worst case is I'm out a few hours of my life. Right?

You will notice a difference, as you said that foot on the stock manifold leaves a lot of porting to be had. Be somewhat nice to it with sustained egt, it will crack.

Ya I noticed just inside the flange it would get fairly thin. Most is probably taken out right at the edge? Probably helps with spooling?

I've got a 12v manifold I hogged the crap out of, put several hours into it. Surfaces decked flat, drilled and tapped for 1/8 npt. PM if interested.

I hogged one out, spend a lot of time on it and was proud, I'll try and take some pictures if your interested to see the difference

Back