Stock 12v pistons

Hee-haw 4

DIRT POOR !!!!
We tore the 12v down today , and it was in surprisingly good shape .... Ive been doing some research on here and havent found a definite answer... How far can you safely push a stock piston ( hp wise ) ? I also read that you can also coat the stockers for more durability ... Am i correct on this or not ?

Swain Tech does a nice ceramic coating for the top of the piston that helps.

I think stock pistons are fine for as much power as you can make with them. There are obviously better bowl designs out there and most trucks get opened up and rebuilt when they start surpassing 800 HP so not many stock pistons have seen super high numbers to prove the theory.

That said, how much power are you shooting for?

800 hp ... But was reading that you need to match piston with injector spray angle and not sure that the stockers would handle it ...

My stock pistons looked great after numerous drag racing 1/4 mile passes, 30-45 second long WOT burnouts, etc.

It dyno'd 708 HP 1476 ft/lbs

Oring10.jpg

As you can see, the stock pistons with 245k miles were in great shape:

Oring7.jpg

Piston1.jpg

Last edited:
What injectors were you running ??? Ive been looking at some 370's .. I know they have some mixed reviews , but i figured i would get the worked over by someone reputable .. Thought it would be a good start on some inj. to get my feet wet with this build ...

What do you think about stock pistons and the 370 injectors vs spray angle not hitting directly inside the bowl during the whole stroke ??

You could probably call and talk to an injector builder about this. They can probably build an injector for what you're looking for.

What better injector options would you suggest ? I know that the 370's will increase the egt's , but a 15-20 second pull shouldnt hurt ... Or will it ? Im also gonna mill the deck down a little as well , and have heard that it will raise the egt's a little as well ... Would the 370's with the milling compound te egt problems and make it even worse ?

If you take any material off the deck you are going to increase the chance of valve to piston contact. This is the reason for oversize breadbasket.

There are better injectors out there than marine 370s. They are dirty, smoky injectors, an injector built for your set up will net you more power in all. There are many vendors on the website, call them up.

What better injector options would you suggest ? I know that the 370's will increase the egt's , but a 15-20 second pull shouldnt hurt ... Or will it ? Im also gonna mill the deck down a little as well , and have heard that it will raise the egt's a little as well ... Would the 370's with the milling compound te egt problems and make it even worse ?

You said you want 800 HP, a 5x.012" 155* Sac injector is not going to get you there.

It's a low budget race truck, it doesn't have gauge. I wouldn't be surprised if egt has surpassed 2000*F on a few occasions, but then again, without a gauge, I don't really know.

Oh yeah should have know. I've kinda been reading your junker race truck build. That is cool man. I pull my truck an I got to 1200*F at a pull and my father was concerned I was going to melt it down. I thought there were guys seeing way more heat than that and not having any melt down.

mine had seen 2000 multiple times and for a few seconds and the stock pistons looked fine after 200k miles

Back