strange bolt markings

moneymaker44

OK i bought some new head bolts the other day from cummins and noticed they had marked in the middle T+< 90 l what the heck is that ? never seen a bolt marked that way and can find nothing on it !

maybe some of you guys know !
maybe torque greater than 90 ft lbs ??

hum ok well i thought cummins head torque was 100 ft lbs and i bought these darn things from them thought they could hold more torque

no offense but why would you waste any money on bolts when you could have bought studs ?.I mean it must have cost enough for the stock bolts to almost warrant the studs

bolts 80 bucks for all studs 400+ cheapest price

thats a 320 dollar savings and i still do have a budget and still have to buy a turbo :)

moneymaker44 said:
OK i bought some new head bolts the other day from cummins and noticed they had marked in the middle T+< 90 l what the heck is that ? never seen a bolt marked that way and can find nothing on it !

maybe some of you guys know !
maybe torque greater than 90 ft lbs ??

I dont know if thats what the markings mean but it would make sense. I called Dodge and they said the torque spec is 90 foot pounds and another 90 derees. I did it and they took it.(Scary as hell pulling that much on a bolt)

yep but it has got to be tight ! little oil and i think i can get a few more lbs out of the buggers !

kelownadiesel said:
no offense but why would you waste any money on bolts when you could have bought studs ?.I mean it must have cost enough for the stock bolts to almost warrant the studs

Also besides the bolts i also bought a .020 over head gasket , 60 lbs valve springs , and have a few other goodies on the way :) so this labor day weekend i will be laboring to upgrade my truck :hehe:

in search of MO POWER :rockwoot:

I have no idea why they're marked that way, but that's how my originals were also marked. Here's the torque spec from the manual:

(3) Lightly lubricate head bolts with engine oil and
install. Using the sequence shown in (Fig. 30),
tighten bolts in the following steps:
(a) Torque bolts to 80 N·m (59 ft. lbs.)
(b) Torque bolts to 105 N·m (77 ft. lbs.)
(c) Re-check all bolts to 105 N·m (77 ft. lbs.)
(d) Tighten all bolts an additional ¼ turn (90°)

joefarmer said:
I have no idea why they're marked that way, but that's how my originals were also marked. Here's the torque spec from the manual:

(3) Lightly lubricate head bolts with engine oil and
install. Using the sequence shown in (Fig. 30),
tighten bolts in the following steps:
(a) Torque bolts to 80 N·m (59 ft. lbs.)
(b) Torque bolts to 105 N·m (77 ft. lbs.)
(c) Re-check all bolts to 105 N·m (77 ft. lbs.)
(d) Tighten all bolts an additional ¼ turn (90°)

Imagine that, the dealer meathead kids gave me the wrong info.:kick: Lucky I didnt bust them.

There's rumored to be an updated torque spec. I don't know if the 2001 service manual has that updated spec. The 2004.5 service manual says the same 77ft/lbs + 90 degrees.

Back