Street truck/ Drag truck build

fedxairmech

Not sure if this is the section to post, but I wanted help from everyone that drag races, for advise on build, and racing. Just want to have fun, and be competitive.

I joined this forum a while back, but recently have decided to get into drag racing, so need help, I'm not completely new to drag racing and run at 1/4 track on test and tune nights often, when truck is running.

I have a standard cab long bed f250 2wd truck. Here are the mods that I have done so far, engine is a 6.0 powerstroke, stock injectors, ARP studs, EGR cooler delete, Custom ported intake, S&B cold intake, 4" exhaust, FICM tune, Custom tune, Custom turbo, built transmission, lowered 3" in the back with Caltrac traction bars, and added positraction rear end.

I ran the track last year truck weighed in at 7000lbs with 1/4 tank of fuel, had 10" slicks on it and ran 13.0 - 12.8 in the 1/4. The truck hooked good with a 60 ft at 1.60.

The plan to build a street/drag truck capable of running into the low 11's with slicks.

Engine: bigger injectors, install a fuel system on it, and go up on the turbo size, nitrous kit for more power.

Suspension: lowering the front 3" with the dream bars, and lowering the back another 3" with shackles. Brake line lock to help heat the tires. I also want to keep the leaf spring, for now.

Weight: Fiber glass hood, relocate the batteries to bed, remove spare tire and replace with fuel cell, get rid of a tow rig ( 5th wheel hitch, rear bumper, and hitch ).

Need help with roll bar, where to get one, or will a F150 kit fit a F250. Also is there any other advise to help with any of the things I have mention, or something I have missed.

s&w race cars makes pre bent cages for the 99-current superduty's.

Last edited:
I'll follow this thread!

No pictures? :poke:

I will get some pictures of the truck when I get the time. Someone might like the way I had to modify the front leaf spring bracket to allow to lower and still use the cal trac bars.

s&w racing makes pre bent cages for the 99-current superduty's.

Thank you, that was the kind of info I needed.

Also needed some rules for the roll bar, I really don't want the bars coming out of the cab, rather keep everything inside. I searched for the info and found a huge debate on it, both agreed that the bar going forward or aft, need to 5" from loop and have a 30 degree angle. What the debate was about was going forward or aft for the rules. Can anyone shed light on this, I looked but couldn't find the information. I would like to keep in cab to keep it more as a sleeper when on the street.

I have been looking for wheels and tires, once I lower the truck I wanted to run 19 or 20 inch rims, but need to figure backspacing. I was thinking about getting a tool I saw at summit that can help out with that, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Looked up S&W, found what I needed, I will give them a call tomorrow and ask them about some of the questions I had. I saw they have an option for swinging bars, and will ask if those are drag legal, unless someone know that answer. Thanks again for the help.

I'm not a huge fan of the fitment on the S&W cages but they are priced well if that's a concern. You can run a removable door bar for your goals. What other cage questions did you have?

A 10" wheel with zero offset will tuck on a lowered Super Duty. No need to buy a tool.

Looked up S&W, found what I needed, I will give them a call tomorrow and ask them about some of the questions I had. I saw they have an option for swinging bars, and will ask if those are drag legal, unless someone know that answer. Thanks again for the help.

Like mentioned above, swingouts are legal but they have to be constructed in a specific way that made them impossible in my application. So I have a bent door bar thats welded in, and I HATE it in a daily driver. If you are tall you will likely have the same issue. I will convert mine to a removable bar ASAP!

Swing outs are fine. Hinges must be within 8" of main hoop and vertical position of A-Pillar

Ryan

A 10" wheel with zero offset will tuck on a lowered Super Duty. No need to buy a tool.

Thanks for the advise.

I'm not a huge fan of the fitment on the S&W cages but they are priced well if that's a concern. You can run a removable door bar for your goals. What other cage questions did you have?

Who do you know that has better fit? I don't mind paying more for a better fit. The other question I had was to keep bars in cab of a standard cab truck. Really don't want the bars coming out the cab going into the bed.

I will definitely go with the removable bars, since truck will see double duties and since one of the other members gave their view of the bent bats for street.

A custom cage will fit immensely better. There are plenty of good cage builders around the country. Where are you located? We build custom cages, Dow Brothers, I believe Fleece does, and countless others. In a regular cab the bars will have to go out the back wall to be legal.

I will definitely go with the removable bars, since truck will see double duties and since one of the other members gave their view of the bent bats for street.

Your right gluteus maximus and bicep femoris will appreciate it!

At 7000 lbs you will need to be making around 800 Hp or so in order to run a low 11. I would be looking at a set of 275/100s a bigger hpop or twin hpops, and an s400 kit with probably an s467 or 72.

Back