Strongest? - NV4500 or ZF6

SmokeShow

Which one is strongest for pulling? Let's just say max effort 2.8 class application.

Also, will an NP263/261 OR 273/271 transfer case mount up to an NV4500? From what applications? How does the 271 compare (in strength and gearing) to the 263/261 in the DMax trucks?

C-ya

271 will bolt up to the 4500. 3rd gen Dodges run the 271 which is a direct bolt up, and I think the 271 out of the Fords will bolt directly up. Not sure on the 261.

Not much experience/knowledge on the ZF6 but I'm gonna have to say the NV4500 would be the strongest. Only thing that needs to be upgraded IMO is the input shaft and the rest is bulletproof. Have never had an issue with my NV4500, pulling or street.

Joe

The NV4500 has the advangate of aftermarket part support. The ZF6 does not. That said I broke more than one NV4500 with a good running gasser. To make a NV hold up you need to be in direct (4th). That is the strongest the trans will ever be.

The ZF6 has bigger guts and is very strong box stock. But it weekness is the output spline. Stay out of high range. Either use 4th low or 5th low and it will hold up to all you can throw at it. :bow:

The stock GM T-case has proven to be darn near bullet proof. I have broken everthing behind the engine but the stock GM T-case.:rockwoot:

You can easily figure out which one I picked.

Back