studs install question

FORDPWR

im in the process of installing gaskets and studs. I don't have a lift so the cab isn't coming off, I was gonna try and do them with taking the heater box and all the goodies out, I took the whole front clip off tonight right to the fan. my question, would I be better off to just pull the motor at this point? and does anyone no where I can buy a y pipe that's not so expensive, or should I ebay a used one? thanks

Whats wrong with your Y-pipe? Just pull the front 4 cab mount bolts and use a 4x4 to raise the front of the cab a bit. Thats all you need to do. FYI, it takes MAYBE 20 minutes to remove the heater box, AC crap. MAKE DAMN SURE THE HEAD BOLT HOLES ARE CLEAN AND DRY BEFORE INSTALLING THE STUDS IN THE BLOCK.

The flex joint is leaking, lots of exhaust fumes in the cab, and alright thats what im gonna do, sounds alot easier

CenTex Diesel has pretty good prices on uppipes. That's where I got mine from.

got everything apart, got a used y pipe from a friend, now where can I get a gasket set with valve cover gaskets intake, exhaust, injector o ring kit, and oem head gaskets and arp studs?

Thats alot of stuff you dont need. VR 54450a Black Diamond NEW 6.0 head gasket set is about $120, studs are $420, exhaust manifolds are $22. intakes, valve covers are reusable. Injector O-ring kits are 2 for $10. Turbo gasket set is about $12

got everything apart, got a used y pipe from a friend, now where can I get a gasket set with valve cover gaskets intake, exhaust, injector o ring kit, and oem head gaskets and arp studs?

Strictly Diesel has complete kits that you can modify on their web site to as much stuff or as little stuff as you want. Good pricing too. That's where I got mine. And as you said, make absolutely sure you use Ford headgaskets.

The ford gasket and VR part number I posted are the same, just with black sealant instead of blue. Look on the 2 gaskets on the outter edge and you will see a VR stamped in the mls material. VR and International had an agreement that VR wouldn't market there own version of the ford gasket. That agreement ran out. We have yet to have a comeback with these gaskets and we only had 1 with the black onus gaskets. I believe most people who had problems didn't follow directions and did shoddy installs, lack of surface prep.

By the way......... I needed gaskets immediately 2 weeks ago and got them at the ford dealer parts counter. They were black, not blue.. Parts guy said they are getting black one regularly now...idk

Last edited:
ok so what would you guys sugest ordering as far as o rings and gaskets?

I use a spray on gasket, residue and crap eating spray of some sort. Then a plastic body putty knife. Ya get it on your skin and it burns like a mofo. Then I use a machinist straight edge to check the block and heads with a set of feeler gauges

Everythings back together works great and i no more exhaust leaks, pretty simple project just really time consuming. Looking to sell my banks six gun with pda, is it worth to sell? Thinkibg about getti.g an sct

Back