Super touchy rear brakes

Jamie it might be a slight bit of rust built up in the drums from the moisture in the air. I'd heard of that causing your problem.

Jamie it might be a slight bit of rust built up in the drums from the moisture in the air. I'd heard of that causing your problem.

I pulled the drums apart, cleaned everything & reinstalled. No rust in there. I haven't worried about it because it usually stops doing it by the time I reach the end of my driveway.

This is common when the rear ride height sensor is removed or is tied at the incorrect angle after one lifts the truck.it is also very common with trucks where the owner does not use the absolute cheapest,softest rear brake shoes and instead they use a metallic or carbon metallic shoe.This will create a very grabby rear brake and many times it will only get worse.I had this discussion way back in early 99 with then TDR member and brake guru Sam Peterson up in the NW.I have done this ever since and have had no issues with my rear brakes at all.........Andy

Now that makes sense. My truck has a 3" lift in the rear. Only thing that doesn't make sense is the fact that it quits doing it after hitting the brakes 2-3 times & only in the mornings.

Honestly this seems more of a Chrysler issue. My truck does it to an extent and so does the wife's Durango....My old Dakota did it as well. Cheapo shoes and good spring kits seems to keep it to a minimum. Also whomever posted about the long shoe in the back and short one up front is right on the money....that makes a huge difference.

I pulled the drums apart, cleaned everything & reinstalled. No rust in there. I haven't worried about it because it usually stops doing it by the time I reach the end of my driveway.

Exactly. When the truck sits overnight a slight film of rust develops inside the drums that causes the pads to be very touchy. After a few hits of the brakes the rust is worn off and they work like normal. Same thing happens to my car if it sits for a while. First few hits of the brakes will throw you against the dash and then it smooths out to normal. It's got disc's on all 4 wheels.

Honestly this seems more of a Chrysler issue. My truck does it to an extent and so does the wife's Durango....My old Dakota did it as well. Cheapo shoes and good spring kits seems to keep it to a minimum. Also whomever posted about the long shoe in the back and short one up front is right on the money....that makes a huge difference.

My brand new g37 does it as well. Haven't noticed it on the truck as much for some reason. Mom's dmax will do the same in the morning. So will dad's vette.

I only have Dodges at home and my friends are all Dodge guys so my world is small :D I know it's worse when it's damp and the truck sits outside overnight than it is when it's dry.

My 95 will do it but only with alot of moisture in the air. I usually just go down the road and hold the brakes for a few seconds at 60-70mph and it's fine till it sits again. Never really bothered to find out why it does it tho...

lifting the truck will make it do it LESS, lowering the truck will make the brakes apply harder (more weight in the bed, more it squats, more the brakes are applied)

lifting the truck will make it do it LESS, lowering the truck will make the brakes apply harder (more weight in the bed, more it squats, more the brakes are applied)

I thought the valve can do a complete revolution if you unhook the rod? Maybe I'm wrong.

Back