Surging Throttle??

DansDieselp24v

I got the idle issues figured out and decided to take it on a very short test drive, but the throttle is so touchy and bouncy I cant get it to stay at a consistent rpm while driving. I used the crazy carls APPS kit, I tried it both with and without a spring attached the linkage. Only got the truck up to 4th gear at about 2200rpms.
Also at first start up I have to make it idle with the throttle it wont just start up and idle, I have to hold it at about 800ish for a few seconds (10-15) then it will idle. And it wont carry its self in gear, like if I put it in 1st gear and slowly let up on the clutch it will die. I was told timing was set at 18 but I have had the pump off since then and not sure what its at now. I would like it to be around 23* when done. I'm new to these pumps and timing, any help is appreciated!

What do you have for gov springs? If its a normal 3/4k setup, I would loosen them off a click or two at a time and readjust your hot idle to around 850. You're gonna lose some top end doing this, but a livable bottom end is more important if you're driving it.

If its CDS 5ks, there is machining to be done to the seats to get them to idle right. Numerous threads about that, a couple should have the measurements on how much and where need to be cut.

If you're using the later style dodge linkages on the pump, you can change the position of the rod between the bellcrank where the throttle cable attaches and the throttle lever on the pump. On mine, there is 3 or 4 holes that will change the lever ratio to increase or decrease the sensitivity of the throttle. Its not a huge difference, mind you. You'll need to make sure you still get full throttle travel after adjusting it.

The pump currently has 5ks in it, I'm not sure what brand of gov springs he put in when he built it but I do trust him 100% that he did his part right. I will try adjusting the piece of all-thread and see if that helps. I tried it both with no spring and with a pretty stiff one, I will try some more to see if I get any better results. Thanks for the help!

I adjusted the piece of all thread both ways and neither is better. Probably going to ditch the CrazyCarls kit and just get the factory linkage.

It's not going to help you. Listen to Tate. It's in the GSK, either adjustment or the CDS base issue or both.

Mine was the same way. I have 4K springs. When I first started driving it I had no idea what was going on. Now I'm so used to it that it's never an issue. But anybody new driving is sure to jerk and buck my truck all over the place.
I tell them either floor it or push in the clutch. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine had the same problem. Tried 2 different pumps, and adjusted springs all over the place. I talked him into sending the pump to Seth, problem solved. Drives like a dream and makes more power.

Back