Tach Question

super duty04

I searched and found the write up that Mech2161 did on installing a standard tach in a diesel truck. I tried doing it and I have had no luck. I am using a autometer recall tach, a gm hei pickup module, and a autometer tach probe. I cant get the tach to read anything. Has anyone else had any luck with installing a tach like this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is how I set my mud truck up:

I built a bracket over my fluid damper so that I can get 4 pulses per revolution. I used a 2 wire mag pickup that I bought off of summit. I ran that into the cab of the truck where I wired in a GM HEI Module. The green wire went to G from the mag pickup, the White wire went to W from the mag pickup, I grounded the case of the HEI module using a soldered wire. Supplied switched power to the b wire and ran a wire from C to the tach wire.

I've attached a copy of my wiring diagram:

7956307158_ae6cedda19_b.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. I will be checking into this tomorrow to see what I have done wrong.

Mine is wired the exact same way and it will not work. I have tried another ignition module and same thing. Does anyone know how to test a magnetic pickup? I bought it new from summit but, maybe its bad.

how far away is the tip of the mag pickup to the trigger points? I had to have mine very close to the surface that triggered it. Also, how many events per revolution are you getting? Should be 4. The tach I used is the equis 8080 that I bought at O'riely's.

I am using a autometer tach, autometer pickup with 4 pick up points. I have set the pick up every where from 50thousands to 10thousands. I cant get it to read anything at all.

Back