Tachometer Recommendations

2.5cummins

Looking for a tach to run in my puller due to factory one no longer working. Can anybody recommend one they like and what it uses to measure rpms? Truck is an 03 dodge. Thanks!

you dont need a light, you feel it when your brakes wont hold you anymore lol

-Sarafin

Three wire hall effect speed sensor on the front damper and then run any gas tach that you can find. Can get them with recall, replay, shift lights, etc. Easy and quick to do and probably save some money at the same time.

Last edited:
Bubba how did you mount the sensor and what was it reading off the crank? Wored from the sensor to the tach I'm assuming?

Made a mount for it. The sensor was a PTO speed sensor off of a Magnum tractor. The sensor just reads off of the two notches in the damper (ATI). Then set the tach to 4 cylinder setting to work with the two pulses.

The sensor also needed a resistor wired in with it but yes it is wired direct to the tach signal wire (green wire).

My $140 autometer works flawless to 5300rpm and the sensor just straps around the alternator. Little jumpy sometimes at idle but always smooth above 800rpm. Takes all but an hr to install. Mine does not have recall but I have the benefit of a data logging.

Stock tach uses the crank sensor which sends a signal in to the computer.

You could use the stock crank sensor if you have a good one also. Same as using a different aftermarket speed sensor. Just have to cut the voltage down to make it work. I believe that the stock dodge computer sends the crank sensor 5 or 8 volts.

Back