Tailgate or no tailgate?

Do you drag race with your tailgate on or off?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bgreen776

White Collar Fabricator
Do you run the 1/4 mile (or 1/8 mile) with or without your tailgate? Have you proven to yourself your chosen method is better than the alternative?

Last edited:
Back in my younger years, I street raced a slow old Chevy 1/2ton I had against a buddies slow Honda, once with the tailgate on, once off. I lost by about the same amount both times. Not exactly scientific, but for me it didn't make a noticeable difference.

I saw some data on drag with a rclb.

Tailgate down was best.
Tailgate up was second best
Tailgate off was worst.

It was close to 10% increase in drag coefficient with it off. Tailgate weighs 60# which is probably good for .03-.04 in the 1/4 mi.

In for info. My buddy has a rclb we always take the tail gate off of.

I'm pretty sure my track wont let me run with it down, but I'll ask this weekend. I'd like to build a tonneau cover and just run a tailgate skin, and would build a spoiler of some sort if it would help, so long as I could make it removable in the off-season. My times, to this point, are so inconsistent, that I can't really do any valid testing. I just want to go faster. :)

I've always ran with my tailgate off. It may or may not make a difference but piece of mine to me always took it off!

MY tailgate is junk so I've always ran without one. Be good to know if I'm hurting myself any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn't Mythbusters try this? I thought it went topper>tonneau>gate closed>gate down>gate off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It was on their Toyota if I remember it right. I would think the aerodynamic principle would still apply.

according to wind tunnel testing, it doesn't. Granted, i'm sure the cab size and shape has a lot to do with it.

I leave mine on and up. Some tracks that I race at won't allow runs with it down. Between running with it off and with it up, it makes less then .03 difference in the 1/4 mile, with it being quicker with it up. I think it looks better with it up, and it gives another area to put sponsor stickers. :doh:

What I would like to test, is the difference between a bed cover, and running with the tail gate up.

So I run with it up, AND I like bacon. LOL

Paul

All my fastest times are with the tailgate off, quad cab short bed.

Back