Tcase swap 241 to 271

olblue359

jus blowin smoke
Ive recently bought a 271 tcase to swap out my 241dhd. I was just wondering if the lenght of the rear driveshaft has to be shortened up at all. Also if there are any other adjustments i have to do? Thanks

Also is there any difference in the inputs on the 271's between the ones coming out of auto truck and ones out of stick trucks?

I'm in the process of doing the same thing. The input shafts should be a different spline. 23-auto, 29-stick. I believe this is correct.

Don't have to notch the frame do you ?

I took a grinder to mine. It doesn't take much. IIRC I had to shorten my rear driveshaft 4" but I don't remember my overall length. You could either measure the two cases and subtract the extra length of the 271 from your driveshaft or instal the 271 ad measure how long your driveshaft needs to be.

Check your front driveshaft carefully as well. Make sure you still have a decent amount of spline engagement at ride height and full droop. you may or may not need a longer one.

I had no problems with the body seams on my 5600. I installed the transfer case without dropping the trans mount as well.

Also I took 3" off my driveline and it is still a little too long. The yoke rubs on the dust cover pretty good.

Good link just remember YMMV

Which case did you use, Dodge or Ford? What about the front shaft and shift linkage?

Back