TDI guys the next time you change you oil...

Got Smoke?

... check the 27mm nut that holds the oil cooler flush to the oil filter mount. My car had been leaking oil for quite sometime and I finally tracked it down to the oil cooler seal. A common leak...very cheap to fix. $2 gasket from IDparts.com BUT when I went to repair the leak I found the retaining nut to be finger loose!

This is the retaining nut in the picture. Torque Spec is 18 ft/lbs according to TDIclub.com
oil3.jpg

This is the gasket I'm referring too on the top side of the oil cooler. Luckily for me it has all those little tabs you can attach the two ears to to hold it in place.

ocooler.jpg

Now no more oil leak and I can quit loosing the high dollar synthetic oil that these motor's require. :rockwoot:

Last edited:
I just changed my oil on Sunday, looked up, saw the cooler and checked it. Never knew it was there before, I guess I really should look over the motor some more one of these days. Mine appears to have a leak at the rear main seal, somewhere, between the motor and trans, but it is not enough for me to worry about yet, have yet to have to add oil in 5k miles, but I keep checking.

ALH motors can also leak there, there is a bigger nut there that recirculates the oil. IIRC its plastic and has a square profile O-ring. Over tightening it doesn't help!

Yes those oil cooler seals/ retaining nut is a pretty common problem on all jettas, gas and diesel. Thanks for the reminder.

Back