Texas Diesel power air shutoff, well sort of.

Something like this fully extended mounted on either side of a blast gate. Just put a fitting in the air port with a tiny hole in it. Let the gate slam shut and have to force all the air out of the cylinders. Trial and error with hole sizes to get it to close in the time required.

And it's cheap...

If anybody wants to try the air cylinder route, lemme know, I can get some flow controls that will screw into the ports already there that are infinitely adjustable. All I need to know if the port thread size.

I would be affraid to inject co2 into my motor, co2 will chemicaly form into a acid if left in the motor. Idk if you would ever get the co2 completely back out of the engine would you?

Co2 is in the air your breathing right now. No Chemical formation at all.

what not even 1%, you dont feel it due to the fact we have 21 times that in oxygen and also 78% nitrogen, your comparing apples to oranges. Im saying I know for a fact that if co2 is stored in a closed enviroment like a engine for a period of time it will corrode and cause chemical crystals. I work at descent size industrial gas facility, we deal with it everyday.

what not even 1%, you dont feel it due to the fact we have 21 times that in oxygen and also 78% nitrogen, your comparing apples to oranges. Im saying I know for a fact that if co2 is stored in a closed enviroment like a engine for a period of time it will corrode and cause chemical crystals. I work at descent size industrial gas facility, we deal with it everyday.

Carbonic acid?? I would say that once it was tripped, if you ran the engine fairly soon, you would get most of the CO2 out of it. Couldn't you use the carbonic acid for making fountain cokes or something?:hehe:

I guess we are talking about a 6.no go. So there is a good chance if you shut it down, that it may not start until 2025 again.:hehe:

If he runs the engine there soon after there prob wont be a problem, I was just thinking long term... you going to run water injection on the truck also...?

I would shoot for something that is a gas under pressure at room temp. Co2 will pull enough heat from it's surroundings that it won't change phase, and depending on line diameter, will freeze, or shoot liquid co2. A large non syphon tank standing nearly upright would go a long way to eliminate this. A hard descel with a tank on an incline could cause enough slosh in the tank to get liquid into the system.

what style tank will this be in? No2 tank? Seems like a large mass to add in a filled conventional (short) tank.

Greg gets around. CO2 shut off systems were used by Teledyne in their engine dyno rooms for potential runaway's while testing new tank engine designs over 20yrs ago.

We have Halon fire suppression systems on our tanks. Tank motors spin at approx. 25,000 RPM and when a halon bottle discharges about 90% of the halon is sprayed into the engine compartment to stop the fire, and 10% goes into the intake plenum to kill the motor. The halon bottles are about the same size as a 10# Nitrous bottle pressurized to 800psi, so if it only takes about 10% of a 10# halon bottle to stop a 1500hp tank motor, a fully dedicated 10-15# co2 bottle should be able to stop a small diesel motor. I have considered using a halon bottle that i "Aquired" for the same purpose.

I would be affraid to inject co2 into my motor, co2 will chemicaly form into a acid if left in the motor. Idk if you would ever get the co2 completely back out of the engine would you?

I'm pretty sure that if you started the motor back up, it would displace all of the co2...

Question, if the top of the piston is 1500 degrees, how cool would a 10 second burst of Co2 make it?

I don't believe you can thermally shock a piston with any gas. The heat capacities are orders of magnitude apart and the heat transfer isn't super fast across the boundary.

Some liquid CO2, now that's different. Phase change involved sucks a ton of heat.

One example, NA gasser, it's sucking in decently cool air and vaporized fuel on every intake stroke.

Back