The Basics of EFI Live

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
I ran around with flash tuners and harness boxes on my Duramax in the early 2000's when people were still debating about what 'stack' was the best. I've been in a 12 valve for the past 7 years and haven't paid much attention to electronic tuning.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a LB7 powered truck as a daily driver. I started searching around to see what has changed and everyone says "Get EFI live, it's the best". I was just going to get a cheap tuner for towing, but then I saw that PPE's allowed you to raise the RPM limit, monitor real time data, transmission control, etc. One thing led to another and now I'm looking at EFI live.

From what I understand there are two different types of EFI live. One allows you to do all your own tuning and control. The other allows you do upload someone elses tunes you buy from them. I'm certainly not ready to tune my own Duramax, but, if that's how it works, what do you need to do one or the other? I do have a tuning laptop I use to diagnose and tune fuel injected GM vehicles, if that helps. Could I start out buying someones tunes, then do my own later?

- What advantages does EFI live have over say a similarly priced PPE programmer?
- Is EFI live worth it if you only do towing/economy tunes or stay with a factory turbo/injectors? [In my mind the diagnostic side is quite valuable]
- What can I diagnose and monitor, and how do I display the data? I'd like to be able to do my own diagnostics[find and reset codes/rail pressure,etc] vs taking the truck to a dealership. I'd also like to be able to change tire sizes and things of that sort to keep the gauges correct.

Lastly, my sister has a LLY and ever since the Edge I bought her died I've been wanting to get her a replacement. What do I need to be able to flash tunes onto her truck? I had someone tell me I could do up to 3 different trucks with EFI live.

Sorry about various directions in this post, but I don't really know enough to know what questions to ask.

Last edited:
Go to duramaxdiesels.com and read in the efi section. There's at least 800 threads with all the details on all the options you have As far as efi live goes.

Go to duramaxdiesels.com and read in the efi section. There's at least 800 threads with all the details on all the options you have As far as efi live goes.

I tried searching some Duramax forums, that being one of them, but the ads bog down and freeze my old laptop, so I just quit going there.

http://atptrucks.com/what-is-efilive/

This link will give you a decent description and should answer many of your questions.

After looking at an old thread about my sisters LLY Edge tuning problems I saw you offer one of your EFI tow tunes. After making this thread I went to your website to price stuff and found that info page. It laid things out pretty well for someone like me who's not familiar with electronic tuning. Later I called and talked to Cody who was helpful and patient with my questions as well. I appreciate the generosity and help from both you and Cody.

Now it's just a matter of deciding on going for the Autocal or full blown V2. I like the idea of being able to control certain aspects of the transmission and such in case I ever pull or race the truck years down the road. And the fact that V2 allows for two vehicles without buying extra licenses, it makes that a better value to tune both my sister and I's trucks. I'm sure I'll be on contact with you or Cody next week about tune options for both trucks. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back