Think I lost 5th gear?!?

Dodgentwo

Ok so I was driving and truck seemed fine. Then next time I go through the gears, I hit fifth let clutch out, give it gas and it just revs up like I missed the gear. So I go to put it back in fifth and nothing! It wont go into fifth gear at all!!?:bang

So my question is, did fifth gear go out, or did the shift fork come out of wack or get stuck or something? I saw other guys saying when they lost fifth it would go in gear, just it didnt do anything? Thats why I was thinking maybe something else?

All other gears seem to be fine. Clutch is fine.

Please help guys. Anything is appriciated!!

Thanks, Travis

Fifth gear nut backed off.

Get the updated lock nut and red loc-tite it back on.

I was thinkin about weldin it on. I weld pretty good so. Where in ohio you from 97' CTD?

Im from the Lancaster area. Im pretty sure I can, but I can probably fix the nut without pulling the tranny correct? By just pulling the tail shaft. Iv pulled the tranny 4 times so its not a problem, just not int he mood:doh:

I pulled mine so I could get it super clean and when it went back together I had no leaks where the cases mated but you could do it with the tranny in.
Brandon

I have been told that 5th will drop when the rpm is under 1800 while in 5th.

i lost fifth gear when racing because i jammed it in to hard the snapp ring came off the bottom shaft dropping the gear in the case

If u weld the gear on u will most likely weaken the shaft. my dads truck was welded and he broke the tail with a load on 150 miles from home. not fun!

Travis,

Jhurst's nut came off :)hehe: I hope he reads that!) a few months ago and we put the updated nut on and then put a small tack with my mig on it. It really isn't too hard to do if you like laying on your back in a pile of oil! It also bugered up his gear when it came off a little but not enough to replace it. Hopefully you won't have to put a new 5th gear in it. Good luck! :D

Back