Thoughts on this for controling VGT?

bna5017

anyone have any thoughts of using a single acting air cylinder to contol the function of a VG turbo?
basically the same thing as a wastegate actuator, but i was thinking you could figure out the return spring force (lbs) by how much force is pushing the cylinder out (boost pressure X surface area of piston= force on piston), and maybe add a couple springs to the cylinder externally to make more of a progressive style controller.. that way you can open the vanes up slowly for the boost at a given time. as opposed to an actuator that opens the whole way at a specific boost #.

opinions please, good or bad.
thank you,
brett.

sorry, i tried searching but must not have used the right words..

anyone have any thoughts of using a single acting air cylinder to contol the function of a VG turbo?
basically the same thing as a wastegate actuator, but i was thinking you could figure out the return spring force (lbs) by how much force is pushing the cylinder out (boost pressure X surface area of piston= force on piston), and maybe add a couple springs to the cylinder externally to make more of a progressive style controller.. that way you can open the vanes up slowly for the boost at a given time. as opposed to an actuator that opens the whole way at a specific boost #.

opinions please, good or bad.
thank you,
brett.

You can tune the pressure a WG actuator opens at and it doesn't open all the way all at once... At least the set up on my HE451VeTi doesn't open all at once, but there's more than one member on here who have used spring returned single acting air cylinders :Cheer:

how are you tuning it to open at less than what it is at from the factory?
i believe mine was at 20 psi or so, and dont see how you could get it to open at a lower pressure?
im sure i will be having some questions, i just got the turbo last weekend and made up an adapter. only able to work on it on the weekend (college student).
after reading the threads that are linked in this thread it seems that drive pressure is the way to go about controlling the housing. any updates on this?

fleece performance has a controller to control all the vgt's now

got any info on it? I'd really like to try a fleece set up what like forrest is running

fleece performance has a controller to control all the vgt's now

id like to see this also, im sure its not cheap. plus i wouldnt mind staying away from the electronics really.. but if it isnt too expensive it might be worth a try.

i work at fleece and we have just put a vgt off a 6.7 on my truck to get the electronic controler done!!! we should have it completed by friday...the turbo is on my truck but not the controler. ill keep you posted with pics and how it drives

Looking forward to some info on that fleece controller.

They never PMed back on a price for that one!

Holset HE351Ve VNT electronic control

The programming shouldn't be difficult if using the rpm sensor on the turbo. A $100 stand alone controller wouldn't be hard to make on the arduino platform and it'd even be easy to add a dial or switch for in cab control. The mechanical solutions are great, but I think there is an better way.

Yeah I PM'ed on CF, even emailed after they said to email. Nada...

Sorry about that.. I've been out helping out with the newborn.. It's a BOY!!! :nos: Can't wait to have him behind the wheel!

Call or email and we'll get you fixed up.

i work at fleece and we have just put a vgt off a 6.7 on my truck to get the electronic controler done!!! we should have it completed by friday...the turbo is on my truck but not the controler. ill keep you posted with pics and how it drives

HE451 and HE561 to follow :charger:

Back