Tig/Plasma Combo Machines

Red Sleeper

I've been scouring around looking at tig welding machines. Don't want to buy new, just a smaller used machine for project in the shop. Single phase 220v preferably. Then I ran across a vendor on craigslist selling a tig/plasma combo. Interesting!

Got to digging and found out they are just mostly a chinese brand with different stickers and paint. I google searched the brand and reading some other forums it seems folks have really good luck out of them. A few gripe about them, but to be expected.

After looking at Miller, Lincoln, Hobart, they don't manufacture a tig/plasma combo machine. Does this mean these combo machines are not worth a hoot if the big guys don't bother with them? Anyone here have one of these combo machines?

I have a Longevity. The first plasma torch was shorted out and the solenoid valve needed cleaned after 3 years of use. Other than that, it's been perfect. Lyn bought one for the shop and it's been nothing but problems. I think they sent him a factory reject machine. Mine was brand new.

I bought one and it didn't last long at all. I think they rate they plasma portion of the machine way too high. I killed the one I had while using the plasma to cut plate it was rated to cut. They tried to give me a hard time when I wanted my money back. I think the only thing that made them own up on it was the fact that I took pictures of everything and was ready to shotgun them all over the net.
Oh, and the guy tried to include the boat ride from China as part of my 90 day warranty.......wtf?

So I am definitely a little gun shy on those combo machines, but I think if you basically derate the machine yourself you could probably get them to live just fine. I ended up buying a Miller Syncrowave and tons of cutoff wheels.

If you had to send it in to be worked you would be out of two, just something to consider. I own a cheap china tig welder to, it works good for personal projects.

Yea, I've heard that you can pretty much take the plasma ratings, divide by two and that's what they are good for. I've started talking myself into a name brand plasma being there's a reputable welding sales & supply company 5 min from the house.

Maybe I'll keep watching craigslist for a decent used plasma and tig machine.

What do you want to use the plasma for? I thought it would be so handy, but in reality grinders with cutoff wheels is way quicker for pretty much anything that I do. I never really thought about the cleanup required with the plasma. Cleaning up the cuts in preparation for welding I should say.

Yea, I've heard that you can pretty much take the plasma ratings, divide by two and that's what they are good for. I've started talking myself into a name brand plasma being there's a reputable welding sales & supply company 5 min from the house.

Maybe I'll keep watching craigslist for a decent used plasma and tig machine.
Buy the local one. The after-sales support for the consumables is worth it.

I'd like a plasma for cutting materials other than carbon. Mainly stainless and alum. But I have access to a waterjet which is nice, but most of my projects are done in the evening and then I have to wait another day or two just to cut a simple part.

Starting to talk myself into just a tig welder and dropping the plasma idea.

Like joefarmer mentioned, I'll prob stick with local support. Found out the local dealer has a used equipment department, maybe I'll score a decent tig from them.
Maybe a AC/DC high frequency tig with foot petal.

I bought an ebay chinesium plasma/tig combo for around $400 iirc and so far haven't had any problems with the plasma, and yet to use the tig.

I only use it for hobby and have only cut 3/16" carbon though. I found the consumables dirt cheap and bought a ton up so I always have them on hand. I tend to go through tips more than I'd like, but that very well could be user error.

Back